This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

TrickyDicky
Unverified User
Unverified User

UK Microlight PPL (M) in Ireland

Post by TrickyDicky » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:41 pm

Hi Guys,
I have a friend who currently has a UK Microlight PPL(M) and is living in Ireland. Could anybody tell me if he can fly either a UK or Irish registered microlight here in Ireland. Cheers.
TD

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:42 pm

To fly an Irish registerd microlight you have to have an Irish Microlight Licence, or get your UK NPPL(M) validated to fly in the Irish Republic (Which I'm using) If I can be of any further help to you or your mate please let me know.

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:57 pm

Ther is a grey area in the old PPL(M) licence.
It MAY be legal to fly on it here, some clause within that does not necessiate being validated for use here.... I have the NPPL and had to have it validated by having class2 medical and relevant RT + ?80 to the IAA for the privelage.

TrickyDicky
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by TrickyDicky » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:50 pm

Thanks Guys.
I think he would like to keep his UK licence. If he validates it for use in Ireland does this in effect change it to an Irish licence or is it just a UK licence endorsed for Irish airspace.

Would it also be possible to base a G reg microlight in Ireland and fly on the UK licence? This seems to be popular with G and N reg aircraft but would not be my first reccomendation to him.
TD

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:57 pm

Hi again... If you validate the UK licence you still have the actual UK licence but also a piece of paper validating it for use in the Irish Republic which has to be carried on the aircraft with the licence, and with all other necissary legal documentation.
As for the using of U.K registered machines, I see plenty of them on my travels, but I'm not sure of the exact "Legal" implications.... To my knowledge if you have a UK Licence and a UK Registered Microlight and The paperwork is current you can fly without Irish validation provided you have passed through customs etc when It was flown in.
I'm completely open to correction on this....

TrickyDicky
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by TrickyDicky » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:27 am

Thanks Zephyr thats great info Ill pass it on.
TD

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:37 pm

The full truth is

The UK National PPL(M) is a domestic licence

It cannot be used in any other country for flying UK aircraft or those of the local country

without the specific consent of the local Air Authority

As the UK licence is neither ICAO or JAA normal validation proedures do not apply and hence the exhibition of contortions

If EASA decide to include microlights as airccraft subject to European law then all this will end and their PPL will carry the same privileges as we are accustomed to enjoy for larger aircraft

Maurice