Newry Flying Club

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

ppl_student
Unverified User
Unverified User

Newry Flying Club

Post by ppl_student » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:10 pm

Just wondering if anyone on here is connected with the Newry Flying Club. I seem to remember reading something in the local paper about the group lobbying for an airfield in the Newry area, primarally for GA purposes.

Thanks in advance.
PPL Student

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:22 pm

HI PPL Student,

Never heard of a club in Newry, but know that there are a number of Jodels based in Kilkeel, as well as some microlights.

Talking to a couple of them over the summer they seem quite active, but don't think they have a training facility.

From Kevin Glynn's book, there are 2 strips in Kilkeel, if you want contact details, I'll PM them onto you.

If you are looking to train, I'm guessing either Newtonards or Trim are thje closest to you.

Best of luck with it

Willo

Damian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Damian » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:54 am

I am a member of the newly formed Newry Flying Club and at present we have about 60 members, we have a airfield on the Warrenpoint dual carrageway and is under construction at the minute, it is approx 2000mtrs long and hopefully we will be applying for few pound from the local council to build a hangar and club/reception house.

Most of the members are from the Newry & Mourne area and across the border in Dundalk, at the minute I am building a web site and if anyone has a few pic's of the Newry and Dundalk area I would be glad of a copy or 2.

If there is anyone else in the forum from the area intrested in joining our merry band pls drop me an email at : damianmurray@fastmail.net and I will be happ to pass it on. :D
Damian Murray

fast oiseau
Verified User
Verified User

Post by fast oiseau » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:37 am

Best of luck with the club.
How do you manage with the South armagh prohibited area?
FO

Vmax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Vmax » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:14 am

fast oiseau wrote:Best of luck with the club.
How do you manage with the South armagh prohibited area?
FO

Its now nowhere near as busy as it use to be and clearences to enter the area can be got !. As I undersrtand it, people flying in that area will see big changes in 2007 unless things seriously go down hill between now and then troubles wise.

All the best with the new club.

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:20 am

Hi Damian,

Keep us posted on the club & website, will be great to have another location to visit.

Will the runway be grass or tarmac, presume it'll be 2000ft, 2000 mtrs is extremely long.

Looking forward to visiting when you're open & best of luck.

60 members is a great start, most clubs would love get half of that!

Willo

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:09 am

Well Done,
I fly quite a lot around your area and strangely enough this is the first I have heard of the Newry club. I did my training with Kernan Valley in Portadown and regularly fly up to the club.
60 members is amazing, we have only 18 members at our club that has been around for years.
BTW, and off topic.... Letterkenny flying club in Donegal where I am based, has just laid 600 metres of new tarmac runway and this has transformed the strip.
Full pictures are on the site at http://www.LetterkennyFlyingClub.Com and you are welcome to come along anytime.

Regards,
Jon Kilpatrick
G-CCCT

Damian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Damian » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:57 pm

Thanks everyone for your intrest in our new Flying Club, at the minute there is a no fly zone around Newry and South Armagh but this will be lifted at the end of the year which will be a great benefit to us as Bessbrook Barracks is closing down. Bessbrook was once the most used heliport in Europe but now it is reducded to just the one Lynx.

Quote: "Will the runway be grass or tarmac, presume it'll be 2000ft, 2000 mtrs is extremely long"

The runway is grass at the minute but hopefully with a bit of luck and fancy talking we will be applying to the EU for a grant to put in a tarmac runway with hangars and clubrooms and yes the runway is almost 2000 mtrs long, someone said it is longer than Heathrow, so we have a lot of work to do and any help will always be welcomed.

We had planned a Flyin for the August bank holiday weekend in the Nth but the DOE had advised against it due to too short of notice and safety concerns but when we organise the next one you will all be notified and we will be expecting a big turnout from everyone around the country, so watch this space for further developments.
Damian Murray

Damian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Damian » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:13 pm

Correction: The runway is 700 mtrs long but we can extent it to 2000 mtrs at a later date. Sorry for misleading everyone.
Damian Murray

ppl_student
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ppl_student » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:35 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies, great to see that the rumers were based on fact this time :D :D
PPL Student