Virgin megastore cork
normal 75
deluxe 90!!!
115 VAC @400Hz

Frosty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Frosty » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:32 pm

Gamestop in Cork are supposed to be about ?72. Don't quote me on it though as it's second hand info.
Regards,
Aidan

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:36 pm

i'l check tomorrow,i dont think il be buying it for a while.
115 VAC @400Hz

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:44 pm

Right after a few minutes with the Deluxe edition (I paid 75EURO in GAME in Blanch) here are a few things I noticed...

1) taxing the aircraft is still not right. IMO they have not improved this. The aircraft goes all over the place while trying to stay straight. For example...if your turning and then want to go straight again there is a delay in the controls and then you end up over correcting. This is made worse if the frame rate slows down for graphics to load. Your holding the rudder to turn and the aircraft is not moving(graphics loading) but as soon as the aircraft starts to move again you find you have just turned off the taxiway into the grass. This is very annoying.

2) I only have the graphics and other goodies set to about 50% and the game still trips up trying to load graphics. My system is an AMD 3.8Ghz processor. 1GB of RAM and 256MB graphics card yet if I push the graphics any more the game is unplayable.

3) in typical microsoft fasion the game crashed the first time I tried to exit it.

4) for a game made by pilots for pilots they still have boring ATC voices.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:55 pm

Andy,

Turn the Graphics way down. They kill the Frame Rates. Turn the autogen off altogether. Set yourself a target Frame rate of lets say, 29FPS. With your system specs it should hit that pretty solidly and the game will be quite acceptable.

They still haven't sorted out their whole stall/spin issue. I spun the Extra on it a few times, it spins for for the first 4 or 5 rotations, then it just loses itself.

Buying yourself another GB of RAM will vastly improve the performance of your PC. Just one thing about your AMD 3.8Ghz. I'm yet to see an AMD clocked to 3.8Ghz. It's most likely an AMD 3800+. Probably running somewhere around the 2.0Ghz mark, but thats all techie stuff. e.g. This is an AMD 64 X2 3800+. But it's running @ 2.0Ghz, good ole AMD.

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:10 pm

turning the graphics down when they are only up half way is a bit disappointing.

Your correct about the clocking. Mines the AMD Athlon 64 processor 3700+ 2.19Ghz

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:23 pm

I know, it's very disappointing. I can run FS 2004 with all the sliders maxed out @ 40 Frames a Second. The same thing in FSX gives a mere 12 - 15.

mike romeo
Unverified User
Unverified User

ILS problems

Post by mike romeo » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:44 pm

I bought the deluxe version tuesday. So far ive logged circa 30 hours on all types. im only running it on a 1.7ghz laptop 1 gb RAM dont ask bout graphics cards. ive the scenery medium low traffic on medium and the planes absolutely maxed. the g1000 172 is a peach. its runnin ok at 25-30 fps but as i said the scenery is crap.

on another note, did anyone have problems intercepting the localiser at the destination airport when on an IFR commercial flight?? The final vector I get from ATC nearly always points me directly at the airportwhich means i miss the approach and feel like a twat having sat in front of the thing for 2 hours only to muck up the landing!

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Rallye EIBFP
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Rallye EIBFP » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:46 pm

It always happpens me in FS9.

Just ignore ATC and fly your approach properly. They wont cry foul just answer any calls but dont do what they say :wink: :wink:

mike romeo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mike romeo » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:30 pm

Cheers, feels like im cheating but it works

buggyB
Verified User
Verified User

Post by buggyB » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:05 pm

With most of the newer games it's not the processor muscle that gives the good frame rates, it's mostly the speed (GPU) and memory of the graphics card that will give the real results. The whole reason for having a seperate graphics card in the first place is to take the graphics processing load off the CPU. It is almost a mini PC by itself with an onboard processor and DDR RAM.

The main CPU handles the physics and maths of the game, so will be effected by the ammount of autogen scenery and traffic it has to plot and track positions for. Be aware though that FSX makes extensive use of the Virtual cockpit view (standard rendered panels are still there but you have to go through the menus to find them). This is way more processor intensive.

If you buy a good mid-range card for about ?200-ish (they can go all the way to ?500+) you should get away with a reguar 2 Ghz CPU. Most newer ones come in the PCI Express format (these can work out cheaper than an equivilent AGP) but may have an onboard adapter bridge so that they will still work with the AGP slots. For NVidia systems you can have an SLI setup, with 2 matched cards. Each card will render alternate frames and display them consecutively on the monitor, but you will pay for the privilege.

buggyB
Verified User
Verified User

Post by buggyB » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:34 pm

On a side note, may I just recommend the TrackIR system
www.naturalpoint.com
The system is a bit pricey for what you get; sensor, basball cap, cd with drivers and the 3 point clip - if you get the pro system with vector 3d. ?140 for that was a little dissapointing, but worth it if you are a regular flight simmer. Basically the system tracks your head movement and translates that into the POV ingame. So you look left and POV looks left, lean closer to the screen zooms in, sit a bit higher raises seat height. I was able to look around the side of the cowlings and around struts. The motion onscreen is amplified so that you don't lose sight of the screen.

Frosty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Frosty » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:00 pm

buggy-B wrote:For NVidia systems you can have an SLI setup, with 2 matched cards. Each card will render alternate frames and display them consecutively on the monitor, but you will pay for the privilege.

ATI now also offer Crossfire, a dual graphics card set-up. Be aware though that these often require more power, so your PSU must have two graphics connectors. The system can either be worked as "buggy-B" says with each card delivering consecutive frames, or they can display the image as a sort of patchwork, each card working on a few different parts of the image.

I went in town the other day (Cork) and in Virgin it's ?90, both Game and Gamestop are ?75 and Smyths only stocks the standard version from what I can see.
Regards,
Aidan

j3cub

Post by j3cub » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:03 am

Post Removed

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bolkow » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:14 am

I just bought a new Box only from pc world, ?1300 worth, latest dual core thing ys etc but when I read about other folks experiences runnign simx I have held off from buying it. The shots look great of that bell 407, but then they always do, unless I can run it in all weathers I'd end up getting frustrated. My box is a hewlett packard, only a week old and I dont trust it to fly this stuff to an acceptable standard. It makes fs2004 go like you know what off a shovel though even in storms!! All my sliders are maxed out for fs2004 and I get 60 frames per second without any problems at all. I am told that sim x should run ok on my machine, and the shots I have seen show a 747 flying flawlessly, but I cant help noticing that it is in a cloudless sky, with no land scenery in view. It would run ok there, would'nt it?
Last edited by bolkow on Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.