Pilot background checks?

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

MarkColeman
Unverified User
Unverified User

Pilot background checks?

Post by MarkColeman » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:00 am

I'm considering a career as a commercial pilot...my 15 minutes of shame are as follows: careless driving conviction - fined and 3 year drivers licence endorsement - NO driving disqualification.

Moment of utter stupidity on my part and believe me i learned my lesson so spare me the lectures :D

Anyone know if this could hamper my career as a pilot? I obviously dont wanna fork out 75k getting my licence only to find im unemployable in the industry.

Any info appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark.

900EX
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by 900EX » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:11 am

Would be very surprised if it had any effect. A criminal record is another matter but driving convictions do not fall in to that category.

In the USA driving records are linked to the FAA but the only one that will cause a problem is a DUI (driving under the influence) and rightly so !

I believe drugs and alcohol are the main factors as clearly they dont mix with aviation.

Be safe.
Celer fuga....

The Termignator
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by The Termignator » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:05 pm

Isn't there a question on the JAA medical questionnaire relating to driving convictions?

Maybe a career in journalism might suit you better, Mark. :idea: :wink:

MarkColeman
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MarkColeman » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:23 am

Just found this in a JAA medical document:

Every application is reviewed once it arrives at CAMI by examiners for completeness, accuracy, and abnormal medical history or findings. This includes a required query, with the airman?s permission, to the National Driver Register for information pertaining to an airman?s driving record. This review looks for convictions involving driving while intoxicated by, while impaired by, or while under the influence of drugs or alcohol; also suspensions or revocation of driving privileges due to alcohol or drug involvement.

Only mentions driving under the influence....hopefully ill be ok considering 'careless driving' is a less serious charge than being under the influence and i didnt receive a driving suspension at all.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge? :D

Cros
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cros » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:59 pm

They only search for drug and alchohol related driving offences.