Page 1 of 3

Microlight Question

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:54 pm
by bean_ian
I have been trying to gather information about the costs of Microlight ownership but i havent been able to find much.
Would anyone here know the cost associated with owning a microlight(say an X-Air). Eg, fuel, maintainence, annuals, initial cost etc...?

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:10 pm
by Nanolight
Kevin Glynn might be yer man!

There's another gentleman here who flies a thruster... cant remember who it is though.

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:34 am
by jonkil
Having flown an X-air for about a year and accumulated 100 hours on it before I sold it, It is a 582 powered model, the costs are roughly as follows:

Fuel burn is roughly 16 to 18 litres p/h = ?20.00 p/h
2 Stroke oil (semi-syn Shell) =?5.00 p/h
Allow a fund for servicing/maintenance =?2.50 p/h
Associated on-going costs(permit e.t.c) =?1.00 p/h
Insurance required and mandotary =?12.00 p/h

SUB TOTAL ?40.50 per hour (assuming 50 hours per year)

This is probably a fairly conservative figure and has not assumed an engine rebuild at 300 hrs. (300 hours is a lot of flying), neither does it take into account buying the plane in the first place.
A good X-Air with an engine that is before mid term rebuild will cost between ?9000 to ?11000 Sterling.
Getting the pilots licence will cost ?3500 - ?6000.
If you dont have access to your own strip then hangerage will be additional on top of this.

Another route is to buy a share in an aircraft and for a fixed monthly cost + a per/hour fee you can have access to an aircraft. Problem here is that the aircraft may not be available when YOU want it!.

I have always assumed that a figure of ?80 - ?100 per hour is pretty realistic when you account for everything.
Hope this helps,


Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:22 am
by mark
Hi bean_ian,

Take a look at the BMAA website at ... vertPage=1 this will give you some information about the initial cost of a second hand microlight. Also take a look at for specific information about X-Air's.

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:57 am
by bean_ian
Cheers for the info guys, more or less exactly what i was looking for. Im in the process of getting my PPL(A) and im just exploring cheaper options once i have my PPL(A). I like the look of the X-Air, they look like lots of fun to fly
Is there anywhere in the country that sells trial lessons in X-Air's or something similar, just to see if i like it or rather stick to the Group A's!?

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:18 pm
by jonkil
e-mail me on and I will put you in touch with someone as close as possible to you.
It does not say where you are in your profile.


Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:24 pm
by scraggane
does one require the PPL to fly a microlight? I was under the impression that this was not the case.

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:28 pm
by Flyer1
You most certainly do need a PPL. But it's a PPL (M). A microlight PPL.

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:33 pm
by bean_ian
You can convert a PPL(A) to PPL(M) quite easily( 15 conversion i think...) but its alot harder to go the other way

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:52 pm
by seamus
Private message me.

I own and fly a Thruster T300 from my private strip.


Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:56 pm
by mark

It's only a 5 hour conversion to microlights once you have your PPL (A).I did it with Ultraflight at Abbeyshrule. It's just a 3 Axis Microlight Rating that's added to your licence.

Although i'm legally allowed to fly X-Air's and those kind of aircraft (I did my conversion on a Samba) I was told that the other types of aircraft are a bit trickier to fly and require a bit more training. The Samba is a simple aircraft to fly and provided you are reasonably current, you spend most of the time doing cross countries simply just to make up the five hours.

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:37 pm
by DonalMW
S it is possible to convert an Irish PPL(M) into a PPL(A)?? Any1 know what's involved?? :?:

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:57 pm
by Nanolight
I am totally open to correction on this (in case I get any facts and figures wrong :lol: )

*To fly a microlight you need a PPL (M)
*To get a PPL(M) you need 25 hours dual instruction, and 15 hours solo, plus cross country flights as with PPL(A)
*This entitles you to fly a microlight : fixed or flex, depending on which you trained on.

Now as far as I know, 15 of those 40 microlight hours count towards your PPL(A). You just need to do the cross countries again.
*PPL(A) syllabus requires that you do 5 hours instrument training, so you'll need to do that as it wont have been covered on (M)

The ground school is the same, and you'll have that done.

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:02 pm
by DonalMW
Thanks nanolight! I'll definatly look into it, the extra seats would be nice for touring!!

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:37 pm
by CaptCream
One thing to remember about a microlight for anyone thinking about going on to do an ATPL is that the hours do not count!! The Samba that Mark did his flying is a lovely aircraft and can be bought new for around ?73k as far as I remember, Mark can correct me if im wrong on the price. Mark covered all the details on how to get a microlight rating in the magazine a few months ago.