Microlight Question

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:41 pm

Most unhappily convoluted situation. this microlition

The Special arrangements for Microlight Licensing were devised so that Microlight folks who did not wish to grapple with ICAO or JAA could have a simple licence having limited privileges

Now the circle has swung full and certain species of microlight are now denied to JAA SEP PPL' on grounds other than unaceptable 'difference'

Perhaps we can read logic into the EASA Licensing proposal

Maurice

EI KEV
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EI KEV » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:30 pm

Hi Maurice et al,

Seems quite simple to me :

You need to do pretty much the complete Group A training and exams in order to fly a microlight.

REASON : some modern microlights are very close in performance and complexity to Group A aircraft. ... OK got it.

If you do have a PPL (M) this is worth practically nothing towards getting a PPL (A)

REASON: most microlight aircraft are rag and tube and the pilot would not have a clue how to fly a complex Group A aircraft ... NOPE .. I'm confused again :evil:

Maybe someone from the IAA had better explain ?

Regards

KEV

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:10 pm

I'm not from the IAA ( :) ) but my understanding is the reason for a comprehensive PPL(M) syllabus is for international recognition as being a fully trained pilot. The uk licence doesn't have this at all. They only need 25 hrs and can only fly in uk as far as I know.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

CaptCream
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by CaptCream » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:37 am

So if you live in Ireland and have a uk ppl, do you need a microlight rating? And if so, can you do your rating here with Ultra Flight and apply it to your UK ppl?

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:19 pm

I first flew a microlight (Druine Turbulent) using PPL (Irish & UK) in 1964

I have continued to do so and and I have since discovered no regulation suggesting I should stop

It is very unusual to have a class of privileges withdrawn - provided one stays clear of the fairyland that is/was AIC 14/93

Maurice

CaptCream
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by CaptCream » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:26 pm

The microlight rating seems to be a grey area alright. The information I was given seems to be that one can't apply a microlight rating to the UK PPL..... the IAA told me that if I want to fly here I will have to convert my licence to an Irish licence and then apply the rating!!! All very confusing.

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:56 am

You do not find Microlight Ratings on UK PPL's because the CAA does not require such for the flying of a microlight

I am not sure how those microlights still covered by JAR 1005 (a) (5) fare but they were not even mentioned in a recent CAA Legal Department offering I have seen confirming what I have said above

Maurice

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Microlight groups/clubs

Post by bean_ian » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:36 pm

is anyone aware of any Microlight groups or clubs operating an X-air/Thruster or similar small 3-axis aircraft?
I wont be flying enough to justify the cost of buying a microlight outright or even a 1/2 share, what im ideally looking for is a group share, or better still a club based around an X-air/Thruster/Shadow or something similar.
Anyone know of such a group in existance or forming?
Regards
Ian

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:19 am

This will put the cat among the pidgeons////A gb nppl(m) is valid in roi provided you have a med 2 and rt. *25hrs leaves you restricted to gb airspace , signed off at 50 hrs with nav you get to fly almost anywhere.
Now IM going to slip out the back and put on the kevlar :roll:

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:21 am

Re Groups ask jonkil

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:58 am

Re: UK NPPL(M)
I have a UK NPPL(M) and I "validated" it with the IAA.
U need a Class 2 medical and the RT.
I found the RT course excellent and informative and well worth doing.
The NMAI (National Microlight association Ireland) handle the application for validation of the UK licence on their members part, it is quite straightforward.

I flew the X-Air for over 100 hours last year and it is an excellent little aircraft, very easily flown, can take off/land extremely short and is a robust little plane... I enjoyed it immensely, I bought a C42 earlier this year.
I am un-aware of any groups operating in the South, however there is a few aircraft in joint ownership throughout the country. There is a group operated jabiru powered thruster in Kernan Aviation in Armagh, and I believe that they may be going to have a C42 group establishing soon.
There is a guy up here in Donegal who is the Importer/Dealer for X-Air and he would definately be the man to talk to. His web site is http://www.XairIreland.Com where you can get contact info for him, his name is Seamus O'Donnell.

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:05 pm

Im based in Dublin, i was aware of Kernan Aviation in EGAB.
Its a pity there is no Microlight group or club whithin commuting distance. I would have imagined there would be a few PPL's in the same boat (eg looking for as cheap flying as possible without buying outright).
Just wondering...if i was to buy a Microlight/set up a group, where would be the best place to hanager it bar weston, that would be a reasonable distance to Dublin? And what sort of costs are involved? Do they need to be hanagered indoors during the Winter?

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:50 pm

Kilrush? Depends where you are in Dublin I suppose.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:24 pm

Hi Ian,

A few X-Airs & the like based at Granard.

Not sure if they run a group or if the commute is too much, either.

We have club Samba aircraft in Abbeyshrule, but from your posts, don't think they are what you are looking for.

You're welcome to take a lookanytime.

Regards

Willo
Ultraflight

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:35 am

bean_ian wrote: And what sort of costs are involved? Do they need to be hanagered indoors during the Winter?

X-Airs can be picked up from ?8000 STG upwards....... Talk to some people who own them...Earlier X-Airs have narrower doors and the newer ones have had a few changes.... there is also quite a lot of extras fitted to some aircraft...Baggage compartment,Strobes,Seal kits to stop drafts,cabin enhancements,E.T.C.
I would expect to pay around ?10K - ?11K for a real good descent one.... also need to establish if you require 2 or 4 stroke engines... As far as I am concerned the Rotax 582/Xair combination is a good match.
They definately need to be hangered indoors, winter & summer as UV light damage the fabric and an aircraft that stands outside really takes a beating... you can get full covers that help a bit..... but really budget to hanger it.