Latest Nasty Weston Rumour

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright »

Fishy Business wrote:
Does anybody know what the procedure/radio calls etc will be for departing/arriving Weston on a nav out west for example?

all the procedures are laid out in AIP EIWT AD 2-8 - 2-10

Do you need to file a flight plan?

yes ,flight plans in Class C are mandatory ,either by fax ,phone or you can file over the radio if your flying into weston.

remember now that Class C extends out to Maynooth, and the Dublin CTR extends out past Kilcock to the M4 Toll Plaza from 1500 ft up to FL 245.

see Visual Approach Chart EIDW AD 2.24-28.

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach »

You can call the tower at weston no later than 15 minutes before start-up on 01-6217301 to get the plan in according to the document they issued to the NFC..

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

As above. It's no big deal filing 15 minutes in advance. It takes that long to preflight etc anyway. Other than that the only difference is that you are now cleared to take off and land.

The closing time is 6pm local or 17:00 UTC and that is only because of lack of controllers. KoC stood in on Thursday from 1800. Back to his old job for the day. When the new controller/controllers come on line. It's business as usual.

It was easy in the end. All you do outbound is call exiting the zone halfway between Maynooth and Kilcock and inbound report at Kilcock for clearance into the zone not above 1500 feet QNH.

No drama at all.

sppl
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by sppl »

Hi

When you ring 01-6217301 to file for say a detail using an NFC aircraft
What information do you need to hand? to give over the phone

Thanks
SPPL
sppl

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat »

have the iaa issued new maps for ths new airspace or where are they available?

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright »

:roll: see above. :roll:

if you have an AIP then you should have got them a couple of months ago!!

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

As per a standard ATC flight plan, SPPL.

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers »

Is nobody concerned about these latest developments? What sort of ineptitude is being demonstrated a Weston management that looks for Class C without the lining up the ATC capacity to deal with its operations. What sort of commercial contempt is demonstrated by Weston management to is customers and partners by not providing the service required and causing a loss of revenue?

Quite frankly the behaviour of Weston is utterly disgraceful.

David

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

Well said, yawwnn :wink:

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright »

this situation could have been avoided if a provision for Weston to revert to Class G ,outside of hours of ATC service, had been made in the airspace change proposal.

why was such a provision not made?

was there reasons that made it not possible to include such a provision?

it may also come down to simple economics, now that we are coming into winter time, the evenings will be getting shorter from now on.

would the volume of traffic justify the expense of employing ATC controller ?

how does the loss of revenue compare to the cost of providing another ATC controller over the next couple of months after 5 pm?

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat »

Thanks OW for your gem of wisdom. As a foreign registered aircraft owner based in Eire I am not legally obliged to subscribe to the AIC service from the IAA yet I am obliged to inform myself of all changes in airspace and I can not find it. So without all the smart ar@e retorts, please direct me to an area where I can see the changes.

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers »

Why was no provision made; because Weston don't want training operations on the field. They make more money from a handful of jet ops/ based aircraft with less hassle for the locals than they do with the "little" airplanes.

Remember, the loss of revenue is being borne by the FTO's not Weston. Their biggest profit comes from parking/rental. By making the FTO's fly less still means largely the same income for Weston.

I'm guessing to that while the place officially closes to thee and me at 18:00, if Joe Dollar in Citation VI gives the the Airport a call to say he'd like to arrive at 19:00, someone will be called to step into the breach.

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright »

Bearcat wrote:................. So without all the smart ar@e retorts, please direct me to an area where I can see the changes.

first of all i wasn't been smart ar@ed, some people who have have an AIP haven't recieved the latest ammendments concerning the airspace change at weston.

you can try the EAD website that's if you can get it to work!

or try the IAA website.

you may not be obliged to have an AIP yet but i would have tought that it would have been one of the first things you got hold of.

i not obliged to subscribe to the UK AIP service but i wouldn't fly to the uk without checking the UK AIS website first ,granted it's easier to access this site than the EAD website.

i think you need to cool down a bit before you go jumping down people's throats.

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby »

For those downloading the visual approach chart from the EAD website, be aware that there's some scope for confusion because both the old and new visual approach charts are currently available. The file you need for the new layout is
EI_AD_2_EIDW_24-28_en_2006-08-03.pdf
while if you're interested in downloading the old chart for comparison, the filename is
EI_AD_2_EIDW_2.24-28_en_2006-06-08.pdf

If anyone is having difficulty using the EAD website and can't get the files, I will be happy to email the pdf on request. Alternatively, maybe the site owners could host it here for a while?