Verified User

Salthill 2006

Post by Lambada Crazy » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:51 pm

Hi all,

I went to the Salthill airshow today and i thought it was excelent,
here are some of the pictures i took!;

The Cessna 210 on the way home

The CASA performed very well today, although it a was quiet short display time

Eddie Goggins Heart, and if you look into the top right, u can see the face he made from the smoke. Amazing!!

thought this was a very nice pic!

[img]http://www.waterfordaeroclub.com/pics/pc9.JPG
the pc9s also performed very well.[/img]
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:38 pm

Gahh, I thought the show left a lot to be desired. Not so keen on going back next year. What flew was ok, i've seen much better shows there i nthe past. Eddie Goggins solo display was pretty amazing, as was that big oversized helicopter ( which I still dont know the name of ).

Far too much heli action, more fixed wing solo displays and more fast jets with the loud noise that makes your insides shake around.

TolTol
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by TolTol » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:12 am

Are those UFO's in the picture of Eddie Goggin's display? :P

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:17 am

Yeah, I wondered that too.

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:33 am

Last edited by mr crow on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:40 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i think there bubbles in the Eddie Goggin's display picture.

gar787
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by gar787 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:34 pm

The 2006 Salthill airshow was a great day out and I really enjoyed it, but , the line - up left a lot to be desired and the order in which the aircraft were flying was disapointing, too many choppers and not enough fast jets!

The EC 135 is quite impresive and enjoyed its display with the two Alouette III choppers

Eddie Goggins did a great job and his solo display was very good

The F-15's were just brilliant (more of the same next year!)

I missed the 2 Exel team :cry: arriving late but just saw them finishing up -seemed quite good

Our own air corps were cool in the Pilatus PC-9M and seemed better than last year

The Merlin helicopter was just the coolest chopper in the show and it was freaken deadly!

The Tucano - meh......... was OK

And of course the RAF Red Arrrows!!!!.......a great finale and was well worth seeing.....but and this might not be agreed on......they were a whole lot better last year!

All in all it was a great day but the line up needs to be changed I feel, and the show wasn't as good as 2005.

GB :)

P.S: There was a lot more Irish acts, keep that up!
The man who flies an airplane...must believe in the unseen
Gary Brogan,
CEO - EirMagic VA

Peter Joyce
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Peter Joyce » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:01 pm

What kind of a crowd of whingers is on this board you are worse than anti war groups or you are all children, Salthill yesterday was a class act where would you get a line up like the following for free.

2XCEL The Blades
The Red Arrows
RAF Hawk
RAF Tucano
RAF Merlin
Royal Navy Sea King
US Air Force F15s
Irish Air Corps
PC9s
Allouette
EC135
Casa
Coastguard S61 Heli
Eddie Goggins
Army Para Team
Army,Navy and Air Corps Statics

It was an excellent display and congrats to everone who put it on, 2Xcel were a great display team as were our own PC9s the F15s were awsome with six great passes on full after burner I thought the Red Arrows were simply great so stop whinging and be glad you got to see an Irish Air Show this year will ye support the people who put it on and be grateful for a great day in Salthill.

IrishAirPics
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by IrishAirPics » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:17 pm

Hi Guys,

You have to remember the organisers write to practically every air force in Europe & also the USA requesting aircraft.

What Salthill gets, with regards to military aircraft anyway, is what the respective governments / air forces decide to send.

Another thing to remember is the fact that the UK Forces have no fast jet displays apart from the Hawk outside the UK this year, the Germans don't do any display flying at all and the Dutch PC-7 is staying in the Netherlands also this year.

There are a few big shows in the UK that didn't have the Reds this year and they were kind of relying on them but yet they came to Salthill.

Things are getting tight at air shows all over Europe, free & private air shows are few and far between (by private I mean non-military organised) and money seems to be getting more scarse.

Would any of you guys out there be willing to throw a few euro into a bucket to help the show? If so it possibly opens more options but without increaded financial support the show could dissapear.

I think for the resources available it was a great show and all involved in the organising team should be commended.

Regards,

Frank.

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:11 pm

Hi Frank
Couldn't agree with you more. An event that attracts 100,000 people for two hours of quality flying and associated displays for free?! In such a beautiful setting and in a friendly city. If any of the moaners have "display fatigue", then take the reins from the organisers and try and do better.
regards
Stovepipe

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:38 pm

Maybe it was just me but I found that there was a much more intense atmosphere at last years show. There was something about the line-up this year that was a little off. I do agree that there was a huge shortage of noise!! The fast jets are always the show-stoppers; the more the better.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:30 pm

[quote="mr crow"]Nice pics,

it's just great to see so many aircraft in one place at one time.
!/quote]

I would recommend a trip to Oshkosh....best in the world,....everything you could possibly want to see, unfortunatly it does'nt run long enough to get around to see it all. One year I was there, twelve thousand aircraft flew in for the event......

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:42 pm

It wasn't vintage but I enjoyed it. I certainly cannot knock it. As Frank says you can't always get what you want. I did miss the fast jets though. Roll on next year. On the point of the Red Arrows I think they come to Salthill not least because of the social occasion afterwards. I met them coming through Galway airport obviously looking forward to the party. If you ask me that's the real reason they come every year.

Oh and Lambada, could you shrink the pics a bit. I have fast broadband but even it was struggling. :P

Brian McGrath
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Brian McGrath » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:59 pm

Well Buzz where ever you got that notion of the Red Arrows coming over to Salthill for the social occasion is pure rubbish. No 1 they dont go to Air Shows for the "social occasion", as a matter of fact at 11am yesterday morning they were in Denmark, they left Denmark for Shannon and encountered terrible weather on the way which almost forced them to land at East Midlands Airport or Liverpool, they arrived at Shannon at around 3pm, rested for a while and done the display at Salthill, came to Salthill at around 7.30pm met with us for around forty minutes, had dinner,went to bed and departed Salthill at 6.30am in the morning to return to the UK.

Now does that sound like a social occasion, sounds more to me like pretty tiring work, either way we are delighted to have them back in Salthill for the sixth time.

Regards
Brian

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:25 pm

I thought it was great, We went for coffee at one stage and something flew past that shook the town, there was car alarms souding left right and centre, :twisted: What an amazing show!
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.