Ireland V. USA
  • 900EX
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Ireland V. USA

by 900EX » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:17 pm

Hi Guys..

Having read about some of your experiences I felt compelled to write a few lines.

I moved to Boulder, Colorado from Cork last year. Although I fly a jet for a rich guy I genuinely love to fly piston twins/singles.

Many of you will be well aware of just how good it is flying in the U.S.. However I can assure you that living here and flying on a daily basis is phenomenal. For example - Last night myself and a friend flew from our local airfield Boulder (1V5) down to a field called Centennial (KAPA) for dinner.. KAPA is one of the busiest GA fields in the USA. Upon arrival we were instructed to park our Cessna 206 between a Citation Bravo and a Citation 10. The FBO treated us with courtesy and respect even though we were flying a simple Cessna single. Absolutely no snobbery whatsoever. They chocked our airplane and then drove us in the golf buggy to the airfield restaurant. The COST for this excellent service ? Not a single dime. Upon leaving the guy simply said do come back and see us again soon.

Flying back north again towards Boulder we are overflying Denver and I get on with Denver Departure with request. I ask them if I could shoot an ILS in to Denver International and the guy asks aircraft type. When I tell him he says "sure not a problem"... Denver International is a very big and busy airport. In fact it has 6 runways (12 with reciprocals) of which 4 are 12000ft and 2 are 16000ft in length. However they in our light single treated us just like anyone else. The cost ? Nothing.

The range of places to fly is just mind blowing. From my home here in Boulder I can draw a circle on a sectional of say 200NM.. From there I can visit airfields such as Aspen Ski resort, Santa Fe, New Mexico, Yellowstone to the north or the Black Hills, South Dakota. You are guaranteed to be treated well every time you touch down.

Of course Ireland is a beautiful place to live and fly. However for those of you that have not experienced G.A in the USA I would heartily recommend it at your first opportunity.

I don?t mean to sound as if I am gloating because I assure you that is not the case. I really just want to share my experience with a group of people whom I feel very much apart of having lived in Ireland for most of my life.

If any of you would like to do some flying here in Colorado then please do not hesitate to get in touch. I can hook you up with virtually brand new aircraft (mostly G1000 equiped). Also the weather here is CAVOK more than 300 days per year. BA have direct flights from London to Denver !

Slainte.

Michael
    info@jeteco.com
    Celer fuga....
  • d2k73
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by d2k73 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:15 am

Hey,
    Im heading over to florida in June for a year or so to get my fATPL so its encouraging to read your post! I'll make it my business to take a trip to CO for some hour building! And of course twould be nice to see an irish face the other side of the pond!
  • 900EX
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by 900EX » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:32 am

Look me up ! We have density altitudes of up to 9000ft here in the foothils of the rockies !
    Celer fuga....
  • Rallye EIBFP
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Rallye EIBFP » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:26 am

Hi 900EX,

I am presently in New Jersey on holiday.

Certainly I can see where you are coming from. I could not get over the hospitality of our american crew on the flight (CO....see earlier post). And while I am here the locals, and people wherever, shops, restaurants they are all extremely friendly, and personally I could not believe it. Being a Irishman I am familiar with the downsides associated with Irish Aviation...and its weaknesses (.......ryanair when its cranky).

Certainly this is something I would like to try in the future, you wont hear from me for a good while, but you will sometime.

regards
  • Charlie Hotel Mike
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Charlie Hotel Mike » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:58 pm

900EX wrote:We have density altitudes of up to 9000ft here in the foothils of the rockies !
    ....Hence the 12000 and 16000ft runways! Eats at the performance alright.....does it get hot there aswell? If it does ur probably doing well to get of the ground with any heavy load :D :D
  • shrtfld
    Verified User
    Verified User

by shrtfld » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:11 pm

Have to agree with you Michael.

An amazing place to fly. Just back from holidays where I did some flying at Sun State Aviation in Kissimmee. Cannot recommend them highly enough. Mainly C172SP fleet (mixed G1000 and Standard panels). the standard versions come with moving map, GPS and two axis auto pilot. All aircraft are no more than three or four years old. Best FBO I have used. Rate $115 per hour

Flight experiences great yet again.

No FLIGHT plan necessary to enter Class B or C airspace - just a polite call and request to the approach controllers in Orlando etc.

VFR night flying - again no flight plans required

No landing fees at any of the 8 airports I visited just a warm welcome from the tower and the people on the ground.

I have said it here before and I'll say it again - you have not experienced flying as it should be till you try the USA.
    Shrtfld
  • RV BLUE
    Verified User
    Verified User

by RV BLUE » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:47 am

[quote="Rallye EI-BFP"]Hi 900EX,

I am presently in New Jersey on holiday.

/quote]

If your near to Philadelphia your welcome to come fly with us. Send me a PM and I'll give you details. We're at a big airport with an abundance of activity....I can take you flying in the local area too....
  • Cosmic
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Cosmic » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:50 pm

Someone pays for it though. I remember landing in the US and going for a McDonalds across the road. I got chatting to the girl serving me and she had been doing some mad shift, I think it was 12 hours, she told me she was being payed minimum wage I think about 8 dollars an hour or something like that, living on that is not easy over there. I looked across the road at the airport, brand new facilities, gleaming, 4 runways, ILS FBO with free courtesy cars etc etc. And who's tax money was paying for it? The girl flipping burgers for 8 bucks an hour.
    We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis
  • mikekilo
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by mikekilo » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:35 pm

A very simplistic statement re: the US situation Cosmic (and i usually agree with most of your good postings on this board).

When i come across regional airports in Ireland with ILS's, gleaming terminals, etc... i often ask myself who pays for it. Guess who? The Irish taxpayer... through capital grants, PSO funding, etc.

The horror of it all is that since OUR taxes have been used to subsidise the very existance of these airports (plus their equipment) in the first place, WHY then are we asked to ALSO pay very high landing fees.

At least this double wammy of subsidies (via taxpayers money) AND landing fees is not prevailent at US airfields - at least not for the GA community.
    Last edited by mikekilo on Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Cosmic
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Cosmic » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:20 pm

MkeKilo,My understanding of it is that in the US airports and hence landing fees are paid out of local taxes, and are not federally funded. They are quite rightly seen as infrastructure like roads. So the local taxpayer pays for the airport. I stand to be corected my memory is a bit hazy.

This is the opposite in Europe. Aviation is required to be self funding, it must be able to pay its own way. Thats why the CAA can charge $450 for licence issue and $1100 for a cpl skills test. Thas why they get to charge airways fees, etc, etc ad nauseum. Then thats also why they get to charge landing fees.Grants and PSO are supposed to encourae growth in so caled disadvantged areas in terms of infrastructure, like Sligo where the journey times from other cities would be a impediment to attracting business t the area.

At least that was my understanding of it, I am happy to be corrected.
    We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis
  • Lionel Hutz
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Lionel Hutz » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:11 pm

The US airports funding question has many answers.

The majority of them are paid for out of a thing called the aviation trust fund which is federally funded.

some of them called 'municipal airports' are paid for out of local taxes

A very small rare few are private airports and they do charge a landing fee, Catalina Island in California being one such example.

All other user fees are paid for from fuel taxes which are ringfenced for the purpose.
  • A330
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by A330 » Mon May 01, 2006 5:22 pm

900EX,
    I couldn?t agree more with you about how much of a joy it is to fly over here. Over the year and half that I?ve lived here I can honestly say it?s been amazing. Just a few weeks ago myself and a friend flew into one airport (can?t exactly remember which one) and upon arrival we were marshalled in, tied down etc. and then we were greeted by another staff member who came out to us on a golf cart and handed us both a bottle of water . A really nice touch after a long hot flight in our 172. We decided to stay the night to check out the area, so we asked the receptionist if there where any hotels close by, no problem she said and booked us into the Hilton on the crew rate for $78 and even dropped us over there in the crew van. All this treatment and were only flying a 172 amazing.

A330
  • AndyMax
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by AndyMax » Mon May 01, 2006 9:36 pm

Im just back from Florida. I was hour building in a 172. I cannot recommend flying in the USA enough. I got my PPL there and just had to go back.

I flew into some amazing airports where you get treated very well. For example..marshalled into parking, tied down, fuelling in a timely manner, driven to the terminal etc etc

The controllers are great. Just give them a call up and they are more than happy to accommodate you. I flew into some beautifull airports like Daytona Beach International, Savannah (Georgia), Key West, Naples, Ceder Key, the list goes on.

There is absolutely no comparison to flying here.
  • RV BLUE
    Verified User
    Verified User

by RV BLUE » Tue May 02, 2006 1:18 am

All good stuff, but when you get to go to events like Sun & Fun, or even better still, Oskosh, it is mind blowing to say the least...up to twelve thousand aircraft arrive for the event. Its the busiest airport in the world for the duration of the event. Every one should try to go to one of these events at least once in thier lives, you will not be disappointed.
  • JimC
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by JimC » Wed May 31, 2006 3:11 pm

I've been flying in the US for over 40 years now. Two of the things that I like best are:

1) Most airstrips are private and not plotted on the charts. None that I'm aware of have landing fees, nor do they require prior permission to land (there are a few isolated exceptions). In my part of the country, on the average, airstrips are placed roughly about 5 miles apart.

2) If you are a transient, many FBO's will still provide you with a free loaner car to drive into town, etc. I've even had free loaner cars made available overnight, to take to a motel.