Rip off airports
  • airoshane
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by airoshane » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:36 pm

I flew to Waterford on Monday the 10th of April. This was in a Cessna 172 that had to be brought for a 50 hr service. I was informed that the landing fee would be cheaper because of the nature of the flight.
    I went to the main desk in the airport to pay the fee and explained to a man (who really didn't care) that this was a training flight up for a service.
    He muttered 12 euro and when I continued to talk to him he arrogantly repeated 12 EURO.

A smile would have been nice.
  • RV BLUE
    Verified User
    Verified User

by RV BLUE » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:49 pm

Chaos wrote:You know what . . . its clear
    And I tell ye another thing . . . the attitudes adopted by the regional airfields is eminating from the same bad attitudes adopted within certain quarters of the IAA and Dept. of Transport. Instead of consultation and collaborative approaches, we get a Them and Us attitude and it is not healthy.
    This goes to the heart of what is now the "Irish Attitude" to screw people . . . sure this attitude prevails across many fabrics of this country.

. . . this stuff gets me so angry and frustrated!!!

Brilliant...this is the kind of attitude I like to hear. For me I just got out years ago, like yourself I just got so frustrated, could take no more. The crap thats offered up by the "powers that be" is beyond comprehension, and thier unabaited ability to do as they please, knowing that the resistance will be minamal. I hope the new organization will be forceful in trying to rectify this, crap, charging landing fees at airports that have nothing more than the wind blowing down the runway most of the day.One has to wonder if they know anything about thier jobs, they are supposed to be attracting buisness, not chaseing it away...."Buy Irish"...yea bite me....... :roll: If more people figured things like you do, they would not be charging fees to land. You should be president of this new organization. I'd sure be a member.
  • Chaos
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Chaos » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:25 am

I am seeking legal opinion relating to pricing for goods & services. In this particular context, we are referring to "services". There 'may be' a case for the ODCA (Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs) to investigate.
  • Flyer1
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Flyer1 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:40 am

And lets not forget the Warrior that had to pay ?76 for landing in Galway.
  • RV BLUE
    Verified User
    Verified User

by RV BLUE » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:58 pm

Chaos wrote:I am seeking legal opinion relating to pricing for goods & services. In this particular context, we are referring to "services". There 'may be' a case for the ODCA (Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs) to investigate.

This is interesting, haveing flown into Knock some time ago the only "service" we recieved was the tower telling us where to park on the ramp. Nobody came out to greet us with a red carpet, like they do at a real FBO. I think you'll find that "service," as far as they (airports), are concerned will contain a multitude of things.
  • willo
    Verified User
    Verified User

by willo » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:20 pm

Yoyo,

Paid the 6.35 last autumn I think. Quite surprised me as I had heard ?20 from local EIAB flyers before I went down. They asked if any passengers and said no, just changint the seating arrangements & away we went.

The experience of Galway would be a two-off in my case, I have also seen a bill in for ?2.70 for a t&g there (was it wort the admin & postage!!!)

Willo
  • Lambada Crazy
    Verified User
    Verified User

Bleriot

by Lambada Crazy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:50 pm

I also heard of somebody being charged in galway for using runway lights!!!!, If anyone here has an aircraft based at an Airport do they get a discount on landings or DO they have to pay the published prices.
    When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.
  • Pilot
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Pilot » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:22 am

The only experience I have of Galway was last summer.

Landing, and 2 hours parking came to ?13 if I remember correctly.

No complaints there.

I've heard a lot about their charge for transiting the zone, but still yet to meet anyone actually charged it.

P
  • Fanstop
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Fanstop » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:00 pm

I have seen the invoice(s) for transit of the galway zone. They were paid by other group members. Some guys feel that its easier to pay it than make a fuss !!!!! Others dont want their aircraft grounded when they next land there (it has happened). Some think that a recent arbitration award is binding on them (totally different circumstances and anyway its not). They don't always charge though and if challenged their records are very poor (dates don't match logs from time to time).

Had to drop down into the Galway zone a few months ago, bit of ice build up so needed to get down to the warmer stuff pronto....... did not get a bill for that one.

Have always thought that a complaint to the Competition Authority and Aviation Regulator on all airport related services / charges would put the brown stuff into the fan. Will do so when next presented with anything other than a reasnbable charge. Hows about it lads, its only the price of a stamp or two.
  • Bluebeard
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Bluebeard » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:23 pm

"27 euro landing charge at Kerry for an RV6 ............. Who can better that. "

How about EUR240 for landing & 2 days parking, also an RV6, at Larnaca. :(
  • Pilot
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Pilot » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:57 pm

Fanstop,

Out of curiosity, can you remember how much the charges were, and what they called them?

P
  • Chaos
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Chaos » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:31 am

This issue is one for NAGA Ireland to add to the list.

Its obvious from reading posts to this thread that there is little to no set trend, neither in terms of what services can be charged and at what rate of charge, etc. The lack of properly recorded records of such charges and a fully transparent billing procedure clearly demonstrates the lack of thought given to the issue by either the folks within the IAA, the Dept. of Transport or the airport management teams.

Yet again, I hate to sound cliche but this is another fine example of an "Irish Solution" . . . half baked, ill thought and a complete lack of planning. As I said, I got no issue paying a fair charge for good service but I strongly object to simply rolling over and paying here, there and everywhere for poor service or service which is already funded.

I wonder where traceability and audit trails come into this subject. Based on many of the comments so far, I question whether or not the monies paid by pilots are being directed to the correctly allocated cost centres.

Questions need answering guys . . . and simply "accepting" the status quo makes YOU part of the problem and not part of the solution.
  • RV BLUE
    Verified User
    Verified User

by RV BLUE » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:08 pm

Chaos wrote:This issue is one for NAGA Ireland to add to the list.

It certainly is a problem that needs to be addressed. I read the rules for NAGI and its a good attempt to organize, but I have to say, I would, nor, will have any part of it as it reeks of discrimination. Thier attempt to classify "membership" on the merits of thier members ability to gain solo status etc is just so pompus. I think it should be open to any and all who want to join, they have shot themselves in the foot, and is just about as "Irish" as one can get. But none the less I wish them the best.
  • GJOYT
    Verified User
    Verified User

by GJOYT » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:09 pm

What about Donegal? I flew in to it when I was a kid but dont remember how much the landing fee was.
  • hugoj_air
    Verified User
    Verified User

by hugoj_air » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:02 pm

G-JOYT,

Donegal fees in the 2002/2003 AOPA flight guide were
    ? 8.00 single and ? 15.00 twin. But in the 2005 Pooleys
    it says "Fees on application" so I assume they have been
    increased since and probably include verious "services"
    now.

Hugo.