This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

YoYo
Verified User
Verified User

Rip off airports

Post by YoYo » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:41 pm

Folks

27 euro landing charge at Kerry for an RV6. OOps Sorry I'm wrong it was 22 euro landing charge with a 5 euro passenger exit tax. Who can better that.

I think it went to pay for the 6 people I counted in the office filing their nails. Must be very stressful looking after 5 flights in a day.

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:06 pm

funny I flew in the cub to Kerry and recall the people I dealt with curt and off hand as they trousered me for their landing fees. Never again.....even in the day job I always felt we were in the way.

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:51 pm

It should be interesting to see what this new organization can do for you guys.....its one way "the powers that be" have of keeping general aviation out....
Happy Landings elsewhere !! :(

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:35 am

I flew into Kerry about 18 months ago.

I seem to remember the fee being about ?24.

I wouldn't have been bothered about that, except for the fact that when I rung to get PPR, I enquired about the landing fee. I was told it was ?6.

When I was asked for ?24, I queried it, and was told, "Oh yes. The landing fee is ?6, the airport development fee is ?6, and the passenger service fee is ?6!" :?

I put it down to experience, and now I ask about the landing fee, and "Are there any other fees that I will have to pay?"

P

Bleriot
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Bleriot » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:14 am

Bleriot

Recently went to EIWF on a training flight, and was asked for ?24 landing charge for a Cherokee. No wonder they can't attract any serious airline business.

Salu dudes,
Bleriot

Kevlar
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Kevlar » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:40 pm

How about 30 in Aldergrove.......thats 30STG!!!! Accross the way in Newtonards is only 10STG
Regards, Kevlar

Fanstop
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Fanstop » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:27 pm

Try Galway. Or better still don't. They dont want GA either and rip people off for passengers carried. However if you confront the manager he will repay. A pity the message doesnt get to the troops on the ground. They still try to get people to pay to go through their air space, totally illegal.

On a nice note Sligo is a very nice place to visit. A donation is requested. No problem with that and nice people as well.

Chaos
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Chaos » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:34 pm

You know what . . . its clear this country has adopted a "rip off mentality". I've no problem paying for good service but lets face it, with the exception of a minority few, I'm afraid this systematic non-transparency over charging and in some cases illegal charging must be tackled.

And I tell ye another thing . . . the attitudes adopted by the regional airfields is eminating from the same bad attitudes adopted within certain quarters of the IAA and Dept. of Transport. Instead of consultation and collaborative approaches, we get a Them and Us attitude and it is not healthy.

We are a great nation for moaning but yet never ever ever stand our ground. Charges for all services MUST BE published for inspection and must detail all hidden extras. I'm refusing to pay for any charge not published in an appropriate manner for the public to review.

And they wonder why tourism is down, manufacturing moving wholesale to cheaper economies and outfits like Ryanair keep highlighting the extortionate charges levied by poorly managed airport authorities.

This goes to the heart of what is now the "Irish Attitude" to screw people . . . sure this attitude prevails across many fabrics of this country.

Enough of my rant . . . this stuff gets me so angry and frustrated!!!

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:20 pm

On a nice note Sligo is a very nice place to visit. A donation is requested.

Fanstop,

Are you suggesting that Sligo request a donation for flying through their airspace, or that they have no landing fee, and request a voluntary donation?

If the later, I have to say that on the 3 or 4 occasions that I was there in 2005, they most certainly was a fixed landing fee. I seem to remeber that it was a very reasonable ?10. No complaints there :)

Incidently, has anyone actually got a bill from Galway for transiting 'their' airspace VFR? I've heard lots about this, but I haven't actually heard of anyone (first hand) who actually received such a bill.

P

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:45 pm

Hi guys,

Last September I contacted almost every regional airport / airfield in the country trying to find out about landing fees and passenger chargers to publish them in the magazine. I got three answers, one from Weston ( I know the guy who looks after the fees), one from Kilrush (no landing fee) and the third from Inverin, Co. Galway. That indicates to me that all these airports know well they are over charging GA and don't want their actual charges to get out there.

I must attempt it again :roll:

Regards,
Mark

Fanstop
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Fanstop » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:03 pm

Hi Pilot

no charge in Sligo to transit their zone. only ?10 'donation' to land (agreed no problem with that) and they are pleasant about it as well.

The only ones to charge to transit their zone is Galway. I have seen the bills (paid by others in the group). If challenged they do not have an accurate record of dates etc on the charge slip so plenty to argue about. Personally I avoid the place (5,001 ft amsl) but if I have to go through I will not pay the charge I will argue my case in the District Court.

Agreed the regional airports have a long way to go (except Sligo).

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:38 pm

My experiences are mostly good, as follows:

Kerry Ce.172 (3 POB) ?6.35 very friendly
Sligo C150/Samba (2 POB) ?10 always helpful
Shannon C150 (2 POB) ?13 excellent again, best Ive been to
Knock Samba (2 POB) ?20 bit steep
Glaway C150 (1 POB) ?15 while ago, very unhelpful all thru airport

I've recently heard that Cork is also very welcoming to GA as is Waterford so it would appear to come down to individuals on duty as well as policy.

Willo

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:26 pm

Fanstop,

I'm curious where you get the idea that the landing fee at Sligo is a donation, not a landing fee?

When I was there last year (a number of times) there very much was a set price list. It was in the small office that you pass through going air side. You fill out your details on their envelope, and put your ?10 in the envelope, and the envelope in their wooden box.

In fact on one occasion last year they thought that I didn't pay my landing fee (which I had, and was able to prove) and I got an invoice in the post. So I'm curious where you get the idea that it's a donation?

Having said that, I want to make it clear I've no complaints about Sligo. It's a wonderful place to visit, and very helpful. I was there a number of times last year, and intend to go back this year too.

P

Charlie Hotel Mike
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Charlie Hotel Mike » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:04 pm

Talk about Rip-off Republic........I say we get Eddie Hobbs on the job :D :D :D I didnt realise landing fees were so bad.....and there I was moaning at having to pay ?5 at weston for a base aircraft!

Willo,
I found the staff at Galway quite helpful although I wud agree that it is an airport to be avoided if possible (that airspace transit fee is a joke). Your experience may have been a one off.......

YoYo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by YoYo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:30 pm

Willo

When did you pay the ?6.35 landing fee in Kerry?