Recent Visit to Weston

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Declan Moffet
Unverified User
Unverified User

Recent Visit to Weston

Post by Declan Moffet » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:20 pm

I recently had my first visit to Weston, very enjoyable experience. I thought that given the timing of my visit, early Saturday morning, I would be greeted with sleepy heads and a muted hello, but no. The two guys behind the counter were extremely helpful with arranging fuel and with processing the landing and parking fees. Their service was prompt and professional. I suggest that given the spare time, you take a visit to Weston and emulate my experience, I was pleasantly surprised!

Steve Bruss
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Steve Bruss » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:57 pm

Id have to agree, its turning into a nice setup up there. I dropped in on Sunday, I was one of the few to brave the weather! Fuel was over quickly and I was paperworked quickly. Fair play

Kevlar
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Kevlar » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:13 am

how much is the landing fee there theese days?
Regards, Kevlar

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

fee's

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:50 pm

Weston Airport Fee's Are Available @:
http://westonairport.com/fees.htm

Yes, I fully agree, the staff at Weston couldn't be friendlier, it has done something really quite amazing- become a corparate airfield, but still retained the "flying club appeal" that Weston always had, and hopefully will continue to have far into the future of Irish Aviation...

Regards,

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Re: fee's

Post by Bearcat » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:06 pm

historical-avi-irl.i8.com wrote:Weston Airport Fee's Are Available @:
http://westonairport.com/fees.htm

it has done something really quite amazing- become a corparate airfield, but still retained the "flying club appeal",

how can you have flying club appeal when weston has driven out the GA scene through huge hangarage fees?

rgds

Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:45 pm

Bearcat,
If you have a problem with the level of hangarage fee's at Weston, I suggest you do not keep your aircraft there, but nearly 80 owners and operators are happy doing so, and over 15,000 pilots are happy using Weston, so the evidence speaks for itself that Weston is clearly being run effectively, and as I said before- with much approval of the majority of the Irish aviation scene, and since Weston's management is trying to address problems such as our heritage, as well as trying to preserve a healthy aviation scene, by offering Ireland a facility that will be one of Europes most advanced training and corporate aerodromes.

I think we should be very grateful... I certainly am happy flying in Weston anyway, as are many others - try and find another aerodrome with EIWT's facilities at lower fee's in the UK and Ireland, and you will struggle to do so, Weston is leadinf way for Irish Aviation to a great extent...
Last edited by historical-avi-irl.i8.com on Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:56 pm

Also, please don't let this topic escalate- about 5 topics on Weston have been blocked before- lets just keep this one as the title says, lads...

Regards,

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:45 am

Byron.........for inside hangarage we were given a demand of the mid teens to remain in EIWT......is that consistent with keeping a heritage alive with older GA aircraft? NO. NO and NO.

I dont consider parking on grass (outside to the elements) as a facility called hangarage....thats called parking facilities. A lot of us vacated EIWT pre your sworded suggestion to vacate and departed to other facilitites that are consistent with keeping GA alive and well in our country.

Have a nice day!
Last edited by Bearcat on Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:31 am

My visit to Weston was quite a surprise, and managed to fly out of there too. I enjoyed the visit to the new FBO, he really has is act together, haveing visited many FBO's in the States. Weston should be a great place during the Ryder Cup. Great to see him make a killing during that event. At our FBO once the aircraft vacates the taxiway its charged an $80 handeling fee, then parking fee (per hour), Landing fee....the list goes on....

aviateire
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by aviateire » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:01 pm

I havn't really been to the FBO in Weston :( but I thought the FBOs in the States were amazing, one in particular which was Galaxy avitation, really nice operator. I think they have their own marshellers, they ushered my cessna right up to the front door of the place anyway which was really cool :D Inside they had all sorts of different features like a flight planning room or a pilot lounge with top class facilities. All the staff were really friendly. I wasn't charged for a thing but that might have something to do with being on my solo crosscounty :? Really enjoyable all the same. The smaller ones wern't as shiny but equally as helpful and friendly maybe more so when they realise you're foreign or from 'across the pond' as they say. :wink:
A pilot is the highest form of life on Earth.....

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:55 pm

Byron,

I think you're way off the mark there. The price been asked for hangarage at Weston is crazy money and you'll find there are less that 20 private SEP owners now basing their aircraft at Weston. Why would you pay that money when you can base the aircraft somewhere else, insure it, hangar it and fuel it for the year for less than the price of hangarage at Weston. I really don't think you can call that 'Supporting GA'. The flying club atmosphere is definetly gone. It's a huge pity to see that the cubs are gone too.

try and find another aerodrome with EIWT's facilities at lower fee's in the UK and Ireland, and you will struggle to do so

Kilrush. By far the best airfield in this country. Two decent sized runways, one tarmac and one grass and both long enough for most GA types. Ian has done a wonderful job with the airfield over the past few years and it's latest facilities including Pilot Lounge are excellent.

It's great to see how Weston has developed so much over the past few years but it's dissapointing to see that it's at the expense of GA in the Dublin area.
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

ei6265
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ei6265 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:58 pm

historical-avi-irl.i8.com wrote:...by offering Ireland a facility that will be one of Europes most advanced training and corporate aerodromes.

Im surprised you can say that, all you have to do is look at the circuit diagram to see that its not the best place for training! :lol:

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:02 am

[quote="historical-avi-irl.i8.com"]

in conclusion Byrons post was pure fantasy based on dreaming as against the stark facts.

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:42 pm

Its sad to see whats happening at Weston, but it was inevitable. Dublin International's unwillingness to cater to the huge growth in the upper end of the general aviation sector has created a void. There is nothing wrong with that, as it has happened all over the world. Satalite airports around large citys are eventually picked to handle the overflow due to thier proximity to these cities. The owner of Weston has done his homework, and knows that this market is rich, and well worth the venture capital involved. Signiture Flight Services(USA) has baught into Dublin International...and they will do well handeling jets too large to get into Weston.
Unfortunatly it drives out the smaller aircraft at these airports, history and all. I think the laws of supply and demand will generate another airport for this type of flying. The drive will be longer, the people the same and the athmosphere the same, its such a shame, my love of flying began there, like many others, the long summer evenings although not many movements, were so enjoyable.Times change.

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:16 am

I was just up in Weston there yesterday, there wasnt much happining but the new skyview cafe is cool huh. I was suppose ta go flyin but the wind was straight across 25 at 11ktsG21kts :(

Another good thing about the place is they actually have IAA Air Traffic Controllers now and are very professional about everything :D unlike the NFC controllers before: eh, just land at pilots discretion lol :D

Mike