important this is from a safety point of view due to the increased
    range in transmissions from modern radios being used. So in finishing,
    please, adhere to this information to avoid confusion and prevent
    accidents.
  • YoYo
    Verified User
    Verified User

by YoYo » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:41 pm

To all Microlighters and anyone else with a Transceiver note 130.4 is NOT a chat frequency is actually the Gliding Association frequency used by all Gliding clubs in Ireland.
  • seamus
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by seamus » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:12 am

YoYo,

Is 130.4 an offical frequency for the Gliding Association ?

Seamus
  • chap20277
    Verified User
    Verified User

by chap20277 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:14 am

YoYo wrote:To all Microlighters and anyone else with a Transceiver note 130.4 is NOT a chat frequency is actually the Gliding Association frequency used by all Gliding clubs in Ireland.

The NMAI did not have a choice in the frequency they were allocated. This is the one they were given by the IAA and unless you are the frequency manager in the authority I don't think you are in a position to overrule this. If the frequency is used properly then i do not foresee any problems in sharing 130.4Mhz. What is the point in causing upset over small insignificant things that can actually benefit the safety of pilots be they glider or microlight.
  • seamus
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by seamus » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:58 am

I think for a safty point of view all aircraft should be on this frequency
    if there not on to Shannon or a airfield. I think for the amount of "CHAT" on it is going to be minimal.
    Lets face it there are alot of pilots out there who don't look out the window
    and it has happened to me a few times where I had to change course because someone did'ent see me.

Shey
  • YoYo
    Verified User
    Verified User

by YoYo » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:52 pm

Folks

CHAT means just that.

Fred where are you. . . Don't know I'm over some kind of lake. . . .
    Is the water blue or black . . . Cannot see as its now behind me etc etc etc

Blah Blah Blah

In no way does this enhance safety.

In certain conditions the DGC can pick up Kilkenny gliding club. Its very disconcerting when you hear a garbled message that someone is down wind, presumably very close to yourself and you waste valuable time trying to find them only to realise that the transmissions are coming from Kilkenny not Gowran Grange.

With the significant increase of helicopters passing within close range of Gowran Grange just 1 missed or tramped on call will increase the risk of collision.

Get real you guys - mixing a chat frequency with an FIS frequency is the height of stupidity.
  • seamus
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by seamus » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:58 am

Yoyo,

"CHAT" does NOT mean this is a conversation channell, and I don't think the IAA would have gived this channell to us for that porpose.

This is a channell for call "Downwind" or "Finals" at some private airfield. It is just a change of frequency because we used 123.45 before. I asume that alot of GA pilots will still use 123.45.

Just out of Interest how many gliders and microlights would be flying in a given day and in the same area ?

Shey,
  • Pilot
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Pilot » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:50 pm

As I understand it, and I may be incorrect, 123.45 was never an approved frequency within Ireland.

P
  • seamus
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by seamus » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:32 pm

123.45 is actually a oil rig frequency, and offically not used in Ireland.

Shey
  • Nanolight
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Nanolight » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:37 pm

"Kilkenny traffic, Uniform delta ecco - Oil Rig- final two seven touch and go." :P
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • YoYo
    Verified User
    Verified User

by YoYo » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:44 pm

Seamus

If the Microlighters used 130.40 as you describe I for one would not have a problem with it but I suspect it will be seen as a CHAT frequency for flyers to chat during flights.

You asked about numbers. There could be 15 gliders out of Gowran Grange in the air at one on a good soaring day, plus the 10 or so Microlights out of Kilrush. Add another 3 or 4 local strips with their own mirolights or helicopters and don't forget the heli's heading down from Weston to the studs in Kildare. Thats a lot of movements in quite a confined space.

The fleet of microlight aircraft is growing at quite a significant pace. When you mention Microlights you are talking anything from a flexiwing cruising at 40 knots to the new MCR-01 zipping along at 140 knots. Wide range of speeds and skills required. I wonder how many microlighters there are around the country flying out of their own strip who pay allegance to no-one and will interpret the chat frequency as something which will save them the phone bill when they are talking to their Microlight friend down the road!! This already happens quite a lot on 123.45

I still think it will be dangerous to mix the Gliding frequency with the Microlight chat frequency. I wait to be proved wrong.
  • FLYbyWIT
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by FLYbyWIT » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:54 pm

"123.45 is actually a oil rig frequency"
    Its (123.45) actually used for a number of operational purposes and air to air primarily all over Europe aswell as some oil rigs for the likes of arriving choppers. It has been used quite alot within the UK FIR but encountered a number of issues regarding GA pilots utilising it for nothing other then mindless rubbish.
    It was designated as an air to air channel to enable aircraft outta range of VHF ground stations or in remote areas to pass relevant operational information and NOT block the channel with chatter.

As for the 130.4 frequency, I have'nt read anything yet about it but would understand its use is to enchance safety and pass relevant information to microlight / glider pilots. If two people decide to discuss their shopping they have now robbed airtime for another two pilots who were possibley trying to locate each other in an area or circuit etc etc.

Yes I can also see the issue with gowran grange and kilkenny but why dont kikenny gliders operate on 122.90 during weekends aswell as weekdays, by the look of pooleys they switch to 130.40, but why?