INTERESTED IN FORMING A GROUP TO PURCHASE A FOUR SEATER

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

led
Unverified User
Unverified User

INTERESTED IN FORMING A GROUP TO PURCHASE A FOUR SEATER

Post by led »

Is there anyone interested in forming a group with the aim of purchasing a four seater aircraft in Dublin area. ???

Biturbo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Biturbo »

I've just blown all of my savings on a car, so this is pure nosiness, but hopefully will increase interest in your proposal from others. I'm just a tyre-kicker (literally), so feel free to ignore some or all of the below questions.

Are you thinking of investing in a standard C.172 type plane, or did you have in mind something with fabric like a Robin or even a vintage aircraft? Irish airfields are small and grassy, so that Berkut that looked so cool in the magazine probably isn't so practical - unless you like flying into regional airports. You pays yer money and makes yer choices.

Where were you thinking of basing it? Paying for hangarage or leaving it on the field (hangarage is expensive but planes left outside accumulate water in crevices and their owners have difficulty sleeping during winter storms)?

What sort of group member are you looking for? Hopeful SPL, newly issued PPL just kicked out of NFC, people looking to build hours for their CPL cheaper than rental rates, haggard old-timer with a bit of cash and time on his hands?

How much were you thinking of spending?

What do you want it for - tooling around the local area, touring Ireland or even points foreign?

led
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by led »

possibly C172, i am a training PPL and am just exploring the posibilities??

Macnas
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Macnas »

How many? How much?

led
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by led »

Depending on the number of shares, (4 to 6) the cost would be around 10k to 15k for purchase I believe there is a C172 for sale at weston for 60K. from what i can gather the costs would be around ?90 per hour wet and a monthly cost of around ?50 for expenses ( i am still trying to tie down all the costs). If anyone has any more accurate info on the running cost or anything to add that might be of help it would be much appreciated.

Biturbo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Biturbo »

Monthly cost for our C.150 is estimated at Eur625. That includes annual maintenance, hangarage and insurance.

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com »

C150 is traditionally a 2 seater, right!
Is it also a very cramped 4 seater somewhere? :D

Rallye EIBFP
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Rallye EIBFP »

I would not waste money on a boring c150, a better and more exciting aircraft like a europa or similar.

Frosty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Frosty »

Rallye EI-BFP wrote:I would not waste money on a boring c150, a better and more exciting aircraft like a europa or similar.

Remember that Europa's etc cost a lot of money. It is more economical to get a C150 (especially for training purposes), or something slightly better that was pre-owned.
It depends on budget and needs. Why do you need a fully equipped C172 with glass cockpit and ils equipped etc, if all you want to do is lounge around on a Sunday.
Regards,
Aidan

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 »

C150 is a great little machine for bimbling around the countryside, they are reliable,forgiving and affordable. They might not be the fastest machine, but they get you there.

You can also get a C150 Aerobat, you can have endless fun with one of those.

Rallye EIBFP
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Rallye EIBFP »

It depends on budget and needs. Why do you need a fully equipped C172 with glass cockpit and ils equipped etc, if all you want to do is lounge around on a Sunday.

Thats a good point Aidan.
What Is the point in having an ILS, VOR DME, Pressurisation, but it would be nice to have to bragg and boast about :P :P :P :P

If I was forming a group I would not get a 150 (Whats the point if you dont know how to fly anyway!) I would definately put the effort in and get something alot faster and more exciting.

Be careful with secondhands though, I know someone who bought a plane about a year ago and it is now deemed unservicable.

Regards
Colm

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby »

I'm curious - how does it work out when you have 4 people with equal shares in the plane, but they each have different ideas of how they want to use it? Person A wants to fly around for an hour on sunny days at the weekend, person B wants to build hours, person C wants to take his wife on spontaneous trips to the Isle of Man for lunch or to a shopping trip in Edinburgh, person D wants to take the plane away for 2 weeks at a time touring around France and Belgium.

Is it inevitable that you end up with resentment - person D feels that he's paid a big chunk of cash but feels constrained in what he can do; person A feels that the others are putting more than their share of hours on the airframe...

I would definitely be in the "person D" category - my intention in learning to fly is to go off touring in Ireland and abroad. Unless I was sharing with somebody whose intended usage was similar, I believe the only realistic solution for me is to own an aircraft outright, and be answerable to nobody.

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL »

8) Perhaps you could create a syndicate of like minded sharers within your club

Biturbo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Biturbo »

hibby wrote:I'm curious - how does it work out when you have 4 people with equal shares in the plane, but they each have different ideas of how they want to use it?

Actually it works out best when people have different preferences as they tend not to get in each others way. In my group some are self-employed with small kids (can't get away at weekends but can slope off during the week relatively easily) and some are desk slaves (can only fly at weekends).

There's five of us in the group (small enough to retain a sense of ownership, large enough to spread cost thinly). In four years there's only been two scheduling conflicts. Rule is: first person in with a booking wins.