Prescription Sunglasses

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Prescription Sunglasses

Post by nosedive » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:43 pm

Hi all - just wondering if anyone out there has ever looked into getting prescription lenses for wrap around singalsses - I've tried to get them for my existing ones but optician said he would recommend it and suggested Oakley glasses as they make te lenses specifically and to suit the frame - alos they've just set up an operation in Ireland. These ar sething i'd like to invest in but with a price tag of ?400 - ?500 i was wondering if any of you out htere had any experience of these and is the clarity from them as good as from regular prescription lenses??? ...an yes i've thought of getting contacts but i'd rather avoid these.

Regards,

Nosedive

FLYbyWIT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by FLYbyWIT » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:47 pm

Yea I have a pair of oakley wrap arounds with prescription. Some places told me it just wasnt possible and it warps the peripheral vision but eventually I found a shop who couldnt have been more then helpful and had my chosen oakleys sent out and fitted with prescription lenses and back within a week, absolutley superb service with call to advise there were in and another call soon after to follow up on my satisfaction with said product. I use them flying with no problems regarding the glass cockpit or light GA aircraft and no sign of warped vision. The shop was the lil small one upstairs in the Jervis street shopping centre, cant remember the name but they oposite the watch shop I think, not hard to find, cost was about 500euro but depends on choosen frame and how many extras like sratch proof etc etc.

danelane2000
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by danelane2000 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:11 pm

I have a pair of prescription sunglasses, designers from Specsavers, cost me 200? and got a second pair of glasses and frames free, so got some normal ones aswell. Very handy for flying on those lovely summer evenings!
Cork Live Director,
www.cork-live.com

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nosedive » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:48 pm

Thanks for the replies guys - I actually just ordered a psir this morning and not ?500 Oakley glasses either!! I found a shop that literally got their first batch in during the week and have placed an order with them ?130. Not quite Oakley wrap around style more like ray ban or ordinary glasses but with fairly wide and curved lenses. Look the paet too - if anyone else is interested let me know and I'll pass om the details.

Nosedive

conor_mc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by conor_mc » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:50 pm

Hi Nosedive,

I'm definitely interested in that ..... can you pm me the details please?

Cheers,

Conor

ei6265
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ei6265 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:02 pm

Hi Nosedive,

Any chance you can forward me the details too please?
Last edited by ei6265 on Sat May 03, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nosedive » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:39 pm

Hi guys- I thought I'd just post the info here so i's available for anyone who wants it - optcians Crilly & McGrath, 50 Laurence St. Drogheda 041-9837491. They have a range of metal framed sunglasses and ones whicj can best be described as prescription revo or ray-bans

Good luck
Another broken undercarriage........

conor_mc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by conor_mc » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:33 pm

Cheers nosedive, I'll be dropping up to Drogheda for a look this week, only up the road for me!

ei6265
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ei6265 » Sat May 03, 2008 6:03 pm

Hey guys,

Looking to get myself a pair of prescription sunglasses.. maybe something like these: http://oakley.com/pd/4855/16196

Anyone know best places in Dublin/Wicklow that provides prescription shades like them, and where can I find the best value for money.

Cheers

extra300
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by extra300 » Sun May 11, 2008 8:44 pm

I have a pair of Prescription Oakley Square Wire Sunglasses. The wrap-around style does not warp vision at all. They are quite pricey but you will not get better frame and lense quality. Make sure you get the polarised lense, they are excellent.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Sun May 11, 2008 9:07 pm

Have to disagree on the polarising lenses there Extra. My brother says you shouldn't use them. Can't remember why, wasn't really listening but he is an airline pilot so I can only assume he knows the story.

I wear polarising Bollé shades in car and in plane. LOVE the,. I have had them for about 7 years and I wear themm every day, though they are scratched to bits.

I can't see the flydat (oil pressure, EGT, CHT, RPM Oil temp) in the plane with them on though, or the radio in my car, without tilting my head all over the place like an owl or something.

<Meh
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

ei6265
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ei6265 » Sun May 11, 2008 9:48 pm

Thanks guys.

Extra - where did you get the Oakleys? In an opticians or off the web?

Parasite Drag
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Parasite Drag » Sun May 11, 2008 10:19 pm

Try this link for a discussion on this in PPRUNE.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread ... sunglasses

They also agree polarising lenses are a bad idea for pilots. See the FAA document for some reasons.

ei6265
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ei6265 » Sun May 11, 2008 11:14 pm

Thanks for the link PD.. I think I might just be better off getting contacts and a non-prescription pair of shades. It would probably be easier than carrying 2 pairs of specs around for when the WX changes.
:)

extra300
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by extra300 » Sun May 11, 2008 11:49 pm

I got mine polarised because I do not just specifically use them for flying.
But never thought about it purely from a flying perspective-Your right that using polarised lenses is a bad idea for flying - [especially where you are using glass cockpit instruments] the polarised lense's light propogation means that you would have tilt your head from side to side to see the instruments! However, i was wearing the sunglasses a few weeks ago in the cessna in the copilot seat and i had no issues seeing the analog instruments and the digital radio.
the non polarised lenses are nice bit cheaper anyways 8)

ei6265- i got my sunglasses from an optician in limerick: Hartmann Opticians 1st Fl 2 O'Connell st Limerick Co. Limerick (061)416606. Absolutely brilliant service and there a few non-prescription oakleys there to try on to see what you can get. Certain frames [the more of a wrap-around] have lower limits to how Myopic / Heterometropic your eyes are but as far as I know the limits are quite generous.