When is new Cork Airport Terminal due to open

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

corkdood
Unverified User
Unverified User

When is new Cork Airport Terminal due to open

Post by corkdood » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:45 am

I haven't been to Cork Airport in a while. Can anyone update me on the progress on the new terminal building and when is it due to open?

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:08 am

this is the general aviation forum
why not try the cork airport forum down below?? o_O

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Post by shrtfld » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:25 pm

Actually Ceatach this might be relevent to GA.

What is the current status for parking light aircraft on the south ramp where the old light aircraft park used to be? Will they be reopening this when construction is done. I have need to go to Cork from time to time and I am put off by virute of the hassle of getting to and from landside. While Southair do provide a facility and access I thing it is a little bit Irish charging handling fees to Irish GA who are not involved in commercial ops. When you pay a landing fee it should be implicit that you can go landside without further charge.

Last year I dropped my nephew at the Terminal to be charged a passenger load fee on top of the landing fee. To do this I parked in the temp light ac park. I was not allowed stay more than twenty minutes and I had to advise Aer Rianta Ops by fax the day before so that I could do this. This was on a Saturday when there was no obvious construction activity ongoing. Crazy man crazy.

This is just one of the many issues I expect to see NAGA try address in due course.

Our Cork based correspondants might please clarify light aircraft parking situation.
Shrtfld

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:42 pm

I was not allowed stay more than twenty minutes

You mean, you literally were not allowed to park there for more than 20 minutes? You had to get lost after that time?

I really have no idea what's going on at EICK. I barely go near the terminal now.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Post by shrtfld » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:35 pm

Yes Laura - 20 minutes. LAP was only temporary and if I needed to stay longer I had to park at the Southair ramp - where I would be charged a handling fee. At the time biz jets were dropping pax in Cork and then flying to Shannon to park for overnight stays. Not sure if that is still the situation. I mean the whole thing about parking is or was notamed.

At least in Shannon there is a light aircraft park. Only problem you have to go through is unreal security hoops (licence and photo id required) out through the departures lounge and inward through baggage hall and customs. Then you are at the mercy of the airport police to give you a lift to and from the aircraft park. Once I had to wait nearly 30 minutes for security to come collect me - after a night flying detail. To be fair to security they do the ground ferrying with a heart and a half. However if they are busy you go way down the list pf priorities. Such is life!
Shrtfld

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:21 pm

terminal will be completed by november/december and open to pax by march.

shrfield, i think aer rianta or whatever they call themselves now along with ATC seem to decide about who parks etc whenever it suits themselves,they pretend to have a high workload,i saw a number of G- and F- regs there over the summer on pleasure and training flights,they were allowed stay a while,including over lunch,then again I also remember an air corps chopper being asked 'what are you doing?' by ATC,he replied 'Eh im going for lunch'
its a bit of a mess
115 VAC @400Hz

Frosty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Frosty » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:43 pm

Corkdood, Harry, Mick and Laura,

As Dutch rightly said the terminal is hoped to be completed by the end of this year, with a gap between completion and openinig for staff training and system tests etc. The opening is now to be in March (so they tell us). Airbridges are being installed at present.

The South ramp is still open to GA aircraft for parking. For a period (about a year or so) while the new firestation was being built the South ramp was closed as it was accomodating fire tenders, porty-cabins and that sort of thing. At the moment EMC's HS125 N228TM is parked on stand one, and there is just a single space for another (light/GA) aircraft. I don't think it's open like it used to be with ample space for GA aircraft because it is being used for vehicles etc.

There is plenty of parking space down at the "club" (no longer in existence but still referred to as the club) where the flying schools are based and three privately/group owen aircraft.
It's a disgrace having to pay handling fees at the club. All they have to do is swipe their card in the machine and let the pilot walk out the gate. What causes expense here and where does the handling fee go?

This is definetely an are NAGA could look into.
Regards,
Aidan

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:23 pm

Ha. Nice one for changing it into a GA matter shrtlfd.
Thats pretty unbelievable re: parking and charges. It doesnt surprise me at all though. NAGAI really have no shortage of workload ahead.

EIWAT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIWAT » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:53 pm

From what i have being told by the electricians working on the terminal it wont be open til easter
Regards

EI-WAT

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:45 pm

All they have to do is swipe their card in the machine and let the pilot walk out the gate.

Don't forget the fingerprint scan too...
I always figured that, with minimal effort, you could climb the fence around "the club". The security isn't high class or anything.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:33 pm

EI-WAT wrote:From what i have being told by the electricians working on the terminal it wont be open til easter

dont worry,mr and mrs electricians will be made to work their b**ls off with a bit of extra cash in the hand to get that place ready.
115 VAC @400Hz