Gliding

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic »

Biturbo, Yes your right. Transition Level is 18,000 over there.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

EI-ei.o
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EI-ei.o »

it happens quiet a lot that glider pilots have to land outside their strip and have very little problem landing in some farmers field and calling for a jeep and trailer to come and get them. now that kind off experience would help the best of pilots.

A380
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by A380 »

Hi,

I had the oppurtunity to try my hand at gliding last weekend and thought it was a brilliant experience to a holder of a PPL for a few simple reasons

You get to see what its like to fly from another perspective, specifically on a rope behind a tug plane during the aero-tow!! I thought that was amazing especially when occasionally we experienced some prop-wash from the tug plane. In gliders adverse yaw is very pronouced if coordination of the flight controls is not used and is a good demonstration of this unwanted yaw in an unbalanced turn in a light aircraft and you become even more aware of it.
When we were gliding I was given control and was initially over-keen on keeping the field in sight as this is hammered into us when doing PFLs but it was not as necessary as we were desending at a much lesser rate than a powered aircraft with its engine idiling! But just like the aircraft with an engine problem the glider inevitably will have to land with no go-around so I would imagine that 'planning the descent' is bred into glider pilots and becomes second nature. The other major benefit I think gliding offers to a holder of a PPL is that in the unfortunate event of an engine failure, the pilot would have experienced flight with no engine/sound and as a result the pilot may feel more competent and in control of the aircraft since they would of experienced this form of flight before and wouldn't be as such a shock even though it would be a 'hairy' time. All in all I think any type of aircraft that gives more experience for the pilot to take and learn from is beneficial and besides that gliding was great fun!

YoYo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by YoYo »

Hi A380

Looks as if you learnt more than most on your first flight. You were able to identify where learning to glide can help 'hone' the skills of Throttle Jockeys and those who have their heads in the instrument panel trying to chase an airspeed. In gliding you quicky learn that the only real instrument that you need is the horizon. After a few lessons you can estimate your airspeed just where the horizon appears on the canopy

Glad you enjoyed it so much - why not join up and really learn how to fly an aircraft

Good luck

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Gliding

Post by MCRO »

The only thing wrong with gliding is that I do not have language to express adequate praise

It is particularly recomended for those who may - as did I at the time - believe they have already learned to fly.

(The yoke replaced the stick in most US arcraft in the '50's simply to pander to their 'fly on - fly off' motoring customers)

Maurice

aviateire
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by aviateire »

Was wondering if anyone on the forum has tried Paragliding or Hang gliding? would be interested in getting involved in it :) where is it done in the leinster area? Do ya's carry a parachute, read something about a reserve for 'just in case', and the other day some women on t.v who did both PG ang HG was saying how in turbulance that the PG canopy could colapse :shock: was she just being over dramatic to look good on the box :P In Ireland there probably wouldn't be as wicked turbulance anyway, I dunno :D

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura »

aviateire - I tried some paragliding about 6 weeks ago; I'd totally recommend it purely for the excellent feeling you get when you get airborne. It takes a fair bit of practise (and a decent hill) to stay up in the air for longer than a few seconds. I did it with a pretty light wind and a not-so-inclined hill.
Hang-gliding is a little harder to master - or so my paragliding instructor told me. With a paraglider, you only control whether you go left or right. With a HG, you've got left and right, up and down.

Give paramotoring a look up too; having a propellor strapped to your back can only be a wonderful thing *nodnod*

Not sure where you can do PG or HG regularly; I did PG as part of a 'n00bie' day with a college club in Cork.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN