Gliding

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Gliding

Post by Cosmic »

I really fancy giving it a try. Does anyone on here do it ? If you have a fixed wing PPL how long does it take to get a handle on it and go solo? Are most of the gliders single seater? Is the weather in the British Isles conductive to the sport, by this I mean are the low cloud ceilings a big detriment to it. What sort of money does it cost?
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air »

Hi Cosmic,

Give Gowran a bell and they will be only too delighted to answer all
your question's. There are single and two seater glider's.

Dublin Gliding Club
Gowran Grange
Naas
Co Kildare
045-897145
Fax 045-97145
Gliding hangar 045-897681

Hugo.

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Post by shrtfld »

Hi Cosmic

Very active gliding operation in Kilkenny too.

Send a PM to YOYO on this forum. He is a glider tug pilot. I heard someone say yesterday at the NAGA meeting that you do not need a licence to fly gliders. You do however have to hold a PPL for a motorised glider.

I can't see anything in Swans Irish Air Law on the holding of a glider licence just the operation of them.

Something I'd like to try myself some time.
Shrtfld

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 »

Had the privelage to experience some gliding in a Motor Glider with engine off. It's really a beautiful way to fly, so quiet.

Good fun and really enjoyable.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic »

HugoJ and Shrtfld, I was looking into places in Ireland to do it and had seen the place in Gowran on the list of clubs in the old AOPA handbook. I am living in the London Area for the time being so I will have to have a look at whats on offer around here. I was just interested to hear what people had to say about the experience.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

YoYo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by YoYo »

Hi Cosmic

shrtfld was correct in that I'm a tug pilot for a gliding club. If you are looking for places in the UK to go gliding you are spoilt for choice. Have a look in the British Gliding Association's web site www.gliding.co.uk for clubs close to yourself.

Its a great sport - learning to fly a glider will overcome your fear of loosing a engine. You will also learn how to fly by the seat of your pants rather than being a 'throttle jockey'

Good Luck

Foo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Foo »

how come gliding in Ireland is so expensive? Or is it just the dublin gliding club that's a bit over the top. Used to glide at LFV-Mainz in Germany and a fulltime membership was about ?300 a year (for students + min. 30h work at the airfield). I didn't have to pay for every single flight and there were no fees for staying up a "bit" longer. And peaple wanted you to get a minimum of 400 flight hours a year.

angelshigh
Unverified User
Unverified User

mmmmmmmm

Post by angelshigh »

Hi

Is it just me or is having a motor defeating the idea of Gliding ??

Surely you are no longer a glider ??

:P

Foo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Foo »

I still glide when I get the chance/money. would't dream of doin a PPL-A til I finished college-even then I'd be gliding most of the time ta save fuel :P . would u know any cheaper alternative ta dublin gliding club that isn't 2far away from Dublin by any chance?

EI-ei.o
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EI-ei.o »

hey cosmic.
i did a little gliding last year. really great fun.
ps .your headset was back in the air last monday. ta

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat »

one of the best gliding clubs in the uk is in aboyne near aberdeen scotland. they get mega thermals over the mountains and records have been set there for distance and height sorties. A total prof bunch who use pawnees as tugs.

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Re: mmmmmmmm

Post by hibby »

angels-high wrote:Hi

Is it just me or is having a motor defeating the idea of Gliding ??

Surely you are no longer a glider ??

:P

Very good article in a recent issue of Flying In Ireland featuring the Schleicher motor glider. Basically the idea is that it's a self-launching glider, capable of getting you to your starting point, then you cut the engine and enjoy gliding. It saves having to have a tow-plane, crew, ropes, etc., and makes gliding a more independent sport.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic »

I am really looking forward to having my first go at gliding!

Altimeter reading 28,000 Feet, In a Glider! :shock: :shock: :shock:
That is seriously, seriously hardcore....
http://www.silentflight.com/P0000391.JPG

I found some real nice pictures here, including one of Geese flying at 18,000 FT!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Geese:

http://www.silentflight.com/P0000385.JPG

Gallery:
http://www.silentflight.com/Gliding/Pho ... hive_3.htm

Some very stunning pictures here:http://www.silentflight.com/Gliding/Photos/photos.htm

Check out gallery 11 the shot with the p51

— Cecil Day Lewis

Biturbo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Vertical Separation

Post by Biturbo »

ehh....that would be 18,000 ft by my read of the altimeter, Cosmic. Still pretty impressive.

You'll note that it's not FL180 - he's got the QNH (or QFE???) of 30.06 inches Hg set rather than standard of 29.92 inches Hg (1013 hPA).

What is transition altitiude out there anyways - could you ask a passing goose?

I also like the way his left thumb is turning purple with the cold!

FieldFlyer
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by FieldFlyer »

I dunno.
We PPLs could have a lot of problems transitioning.
Proper aeroplanes have a control column, gliders have as kind of a stick coming up from the floor. And because these sticks do not have the usual three or four inches of slack we are used to in a club Cessna, the response may seem over sensitive.
Another thing, and this will amaze some of us, is that gliders have only one wheel. The pedals we use to steer with on the ground are instead connected to some kind of vertical control surface, which the pilot is expected to use to assist steering IN FLIGHT! Bizarre.
Glider pilots have to get used to looking out for potential landing areas all the time, and learn to land properly first go, while we PPLs, with our 100% reliable engines don't have to worry.
Finally, if gliders are all that safe, why do they wear parachutes?
I suppose gliding could be fun but I can't see what we PPLs would have to learn from it. :D