Ryanair- A thing of the past or a thing of the future?

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

What do you think of Ryanair?

Terrible
12%
Average
35%
Excelent
53%

Total votes: 17

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Ryanair- A thing of the past or a thing of the future?

Post by Lambada Crazy » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:01 pm

Hi Everyone,

It puzzles and sadens me deeply that the people of ireland are complaining about ryanair, Ive seen people on MSN with slogans like "Warning Ryanair Pilot On Board" However i do not think this is fair, Ive heard some english people abuse and hate Michael O Leary, I today sat at the usual sunday breakfast in our club and heard a well known pilot say " Its Cheaper for me to drive to dublin and fly to the continent with ryanair then it is to fly in my own aircraft", Ryanair have offered the people of Europe a great chance of cheap Air Travel, I personally admire Michael O Leary and his famous slogan "Why should we give you a bloody cup of coffee?! We only charge 9e for the ticket!
" I traveled to Brussels last year with them and i thought it was fantastic, although the bus cost ?400 for 20 of us up to dublin!!!! Ryanair have employed many pilots here and abroad and i personally look forward to flying with them later in life, Please let me know what you think!
Last edited by Lambada Crazy on Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:23 pm

In the last year I have flown twice with Ryanair Derry-Stanstead
return. The service as usual was excellent. Departed on time and
always arrived a bit ahead of schedule. You will have some
hiccups, four year's ago two of my sister's and their husband's
flew Stansted-Dublin for a canal longboat holiday. Out of four case's,
two were lost and not found until after their holiday was over. But it
was the 12th Sept 2001, just three day's after 9/11, so air traval
was a bit crazy and they excepted that. Even so, I would alway's fly
with and promote Ryanair every time.

Hugo.

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:54 pm

Ive flown once with Ryanair and found no reason to be annoyed with them. They're just another airline - and a cheap one at that.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:32 pm

I'd have no problem flying with Ryanair, and hopefully they may be so kind as to employ me in the future :)

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:42 pm

The problem is the way they go about things. They model themseleves on Southwest who are a "touchy feely" company who everyone seems to love. The same can not always be said for Ryanair, the charging for wheelchair use story which was in the papers is a famous example and there are many more, I think they have a poor public image. They also played on the credentials of their underdog status in the beginnning taking on the likes of the big bad bullies like BA, but in truth they are as vicous as BA ever were now, and can use there size to bully others.

Having said all that Lambda, I sometimes do share your sense of pride that an Irish company is so well known in Europe and sucessfull. I also am in a position to know now that all that you hear in the press is not always true!

Depends what day you ask me on!

P.S Flyer keep working hard, you may get there like I guy I know.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

Davey
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Davey » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:53 pm

Ive flown a few times with Ryanair and all were pleasurable flights,no problems..friendly cabin crew and nice takeoffs,flying and landings so i dont see why ppl criticise ryanair..
Keep up the good work as far as im concerned,cheap,reliable,fast and safe journeys.. 8)

Rallye EIBFP
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Rallye EIBFP » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:37 pm

They are brilliant.

Only criticised becuase O leary is in charge, and the way he runs it.

A few delays around Shannon the odd time given the large scale of the programme they run, but apart from that- Fine.

BTW Andy his slogan is Why should we give you a bloody cup of coffee?! We only charge 9e for the ticket!

StephenM
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by StephenM » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:32 pm

I dont not think much of them. The crew's are not that friendly, they spend their time trying to sell you stuff you dont want. Their aircraft are very uninviting to look at. In comparison with Easyjet (flew with them today on a 25 day old A319), who were excellent, very friendly, and did not try and shove stuff you dont want down your neck like I've seen Ryanair do. Even the smiles looked genuine and the crews were happy. A far cry from EIN or RYR.

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Cosmic

Post by Lambada Crazy » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:44 pm

Cosmic, you say "The Wheelchair Story" How many times would she have flown if she had not of got the ticket with ryanair for ?50, of course they have to charge, Michael O Leary is tryin to do away with bag handlers because he said "They cost the best part of the flight", Theres nothing more than walking on that plane in Charloi Airport and picking a seat of your choice and relaxing whilst hearing the typical Irish Accent rather than flying with a Foreign Airline, where they put you in a seat full stop, and you spen ten minutes asking them "do you have a pillow"

rgrds,
[/quote]
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

Chaos
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Chaos » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:08 am

MO'L has a no nonsense approach to doing business and he is dead right. He challenges the status quo and pushes the boundaries. Ryanair have created so many jobs both here in Ireland, the UK and across continental Europe.

If MO'L ever gets bored of running airlines, I'd love to see him team up with individuals like Eddie Hobbs and turn their attention to shaking the government up and big business lobby groups who are blinkered by their own self greed and ruining this wonderful country - thats why we don't get return visits from tourists! Enough of my rant . . . .

MO'L and Ryanair are a constant concern to other European carriers.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:11 am

Lambda, Charging Disabled people is as low as it gets, there is no getting away from it, especially for a company thats earning hundreds of millions of Euro.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:23 am

i agree with MOL's no frills approach to business,its class and everyone is learning from him.You never know what trick he has in store and its good to see them grow instead of some airlines launching about 1 new route a year! as for the wheelchair story,thats a different discussion and im sure its not just ryanair involved in this.

PS. if anyone has 1 all ireland ticket Pm me!!!!
115 VAC @400Hz

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:03 am

I've flown dozens of times with Ryanair, including Dublin to Paris Beauvais, Stansted to Tampere, Stansted to Santander, Dublin to Gatwick, and Dublin to Biarritz this year alone.

In itself that tells a story - I am willing to go for the best value or most convenient flight, and Ryanair often (but not always) offers that. They have a huge number of routes to places that wouldn't otherwise be easy to get to. Their website is an excellent tool for the customer to find and book the best flight for their needs. Also they have a very nice Boeing Stearman that isn't even covered in Ryanair advertising. That's the good side.

On the bad side, I would see the following problems for the customer:
- check-in at Stansted airport is painfully slow. It often takes an hour or more to check in a 737-load of people. An hour standing in a queue between flights is not much fun. If you route via Stansted, it becomes so difficult and expensive (doubling up of taxes, etc.) as not to be worth the saving.
- if you are in a group of 2 or more and want to sit together, you need to stand in line at the departure gate, rather than sitting around in comfort. That's the downside of Lambada Crazy's pleasure at strolling to the seat of his choice.
- Flights are not always cheap. We've all picked up 9 euro flights (well, 55 euro really, when you include the taxes and "handling charges"). But I've also paid ?200 e/w for Ryanair flights. That's well out of the "no-frills" area as regards pricing, but you still get the no-frills service.
- My experience of customer service has been mixed. I don't really expect the cabin crew to smile all day (I don't smile all day in my work). Generally if they don't bother me I'm happy. But I remember one occasion when I inadvertently used the overhead locker that the cabin crew use (at the extreme rear of the cabin). The stewardess took out my bag, dumped it in my lap, and told me to find another locker. This was after the seatbelt sign had been switched on and I couldn't legally get up.
- Ryanair has a tendency to go beyond simply being "no-frills" into the territory of being downright mean. If a person behaved like that, you would think they were mentally ill. A recent example is their decision not to let their employees use Ryanair electricity to charge their mobile phones. Another example was the person who was offered free flights for being the millionth customer, but Ryanair chose to go to court rather than honour it.
- It sticks in my throat when Ryanair criticise "unreasonable" landing charges and then impose a credit-card handling fee of ?2.50 per passenger per one-way flight. If I'm booking for 2 people via Stansted, that's ?10 they charge me to "handle" my credit card.
- I also can't see how it's legal for them to keep the taxes and landing charges if I cancel my flight.

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:01 am

Hibby, it might interest you to know there is a show on TV here called "Airport" that is all about Southwest Airlines and the problems they have which are many, to say the least. In my opinion airlines like Southwest, and Ryanair are the airlines of the future, although maybe not in respect to long haul. Most if not all people are only interested in getting from A to B in the cheapest form possible, and I might add well aware what they are paying for "no frills" so do not complain that much. I flew Ryanair and had no complaints, complements would be more the order of the day. Anything, anything is better that fungus airline that served up that pompus attitude for so long, before they got hammered fair and square by MOL. If anybody treated people like cattle it was Aer Fungus.

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:28 pm

well fungus airline maybe due to incapable,clueless management, cant really blame the staff,if they were actually respected etc. with T+C's and treatment they wouldnt be so bad.Its the management to blame.
115 VAC @400Hz