Other Private Airstrips

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Biturbo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Other Private Airstrips

Post by Biturbo » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:36 pm

Given the emergence of Dolly's Grove out of the mists of legend on another thread, I thought it might be useful to start one on any other lesser known landing strips out there.

Obviously I'm not suggesting we start stalking the shy retiring private airfield owners of middle Ireland, but it's always a good thing to have marked in your GPS in case that carb icing isn't going away as fast as you would like and your passenger is starting to get a little concerned about the pale colour you've just turned. I had this happen to me over the Wicklow mountains once - it was a great comfort to know that Hacketstown was only three miles away. It was an even greater comfort when the revs picked up again so I didn't have to worry about squeezing in to Hacketstown!

Anyways, the only private strip I've ever stumbled across is 4.2 nm due north of Carlow. Strip is grass, runs north/south with a windsock at the southern end and looks to be about 500-600 m long.

Carlow International Airport's GPS co-ordinates are N 52 54.141' W 006 55.916'.

Obviously, I would remind people of the importance of really doing your homework before wandering into somebody's field. See http://www.aaiu.ie/upload/general/4948-0.pdf for further details on how regrettable a decision that can be! Having the land owner's consent is another good idea.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:14 pm

SAAC Field Taghmon (Wellingtonbridge)

N52? 17.732' W006? 40.886

The strip was developed by the landowner John White over 20 years ago, however it's only in the last 3 that it's really started to be used. It's run by the local members of SAAC. Lefthand circuits are the rule of the day at a height of 800 ft. The field is rather difficult to find, there's no strong feature that can be used to guide one onto the strip, however there is an unusual shaped coastal inlet due south of the strip. Following the road north from the village of Duncormac will bring one directly to the threshold of 36.

Picture courtesy of Jonathan Lowe. Approach to runway 18
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

Delta Romeo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Delta Romeo » Tue May 04, 2004 12:14 pm

I found another over the weekend, just outside of Gorey in Co. Wexford. No details though.
Action Figure Sold Seperatly

mrbungle
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mrbungle » Tue May 04, 2004 6:45 pm

I think the airstrip near Gorey is closer to Courtown. I used to live down there for my sins and often during summer would see the a light aircraft buzzing around along the coast.

Not sure of the exact location.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Tue May 04, 2004 6:56 pm

There,s an strip down by Portlaw which is now closed and often has goats in it but i,ve been talking to that Farmer and he says he,s Thinking about opening it up for a couple of months or so for the summer. He used to own a two seat microlight and had two runway,s one of 100m and the big runway was 500m with the availability of 750m. It,s Barely recognisable from the air and hasn,t been used in years. Handy if the donkey ever stopped.

Another is a Private REALLY short strip About 5nm from Kilmeaden.It,s really a back garden with a strip about 50m in length maybe 100m.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Tue May 04, 2004 6:58 pm

Oh I THINK that one near wexford is Probably Gerry Humphreys. The rwy itself is green with the surrounding grund brown would that be right.

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hum » Tue May 11, 2004 9:57 am

zz
Last edited by hum on Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

holyflyer
Verified User
Verified User

GOREY PRIVATE STRIP

Post by holyflyer » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:16 pm

The private airfield near Gorey is just South of the town and runs parallel with the direct road from Gorey - Wexford (not N11). It looks fairly long running through two fields.

Understand it has been used on at least one occasion for an emergency landing.

Would love to know contacts as my parents live in the town and it would make life very easy indeed. However, not sure the flying colub I belong too would let me use it without some sort of published chart.

Frosty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Frosty » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:32 pm

I was on holidays down on the Dingle Peninsula a few times in the past 2-3 years. I was staying near Ballyferriter and there is a beach less than half a mile from the village. In between the beach and the village I have often seen a Piper Cub doing touch and goes on some strip and flying low over the beach on approach.
Anyone know anything about this site?
Regards,
Aidan

tvpilot
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tvpilot » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:39 pm

Grass air strip on Hill south of wicklow town think it has night RW lighting as well.

I am NOT talking about the now closed Brittas Bay field on the coast also south of wicklow town

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:37 pm

Hi all,

I was flying up north of Maynooth today and passed over Dolly's Grove, an impressive field. I continued over it towards Dunshaughlin and routing from Dunshaughlin towards Trim I spotted an airfield about 3 miles south east of Trim. It had a grass strip and a bit bright orange windsock. Any ideas what the name of this field is, its owner and anymore details?

Regards,
Mark

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:15 pm

fossty the strip in dingle is used by a micro light. it has seen a few cubs go into it but they were'nt doing touch and goes but assessing the strip to land. its a bit tight.

Frosty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Frosty » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:38 pm

Bearcat,
I later found out that the strip is owned by a fellow from Dublin who owns a Piper Cub. He also owns this field which he uses in the summer for flying. Its not oficially an airstrip, only a field he owns.
Regards,
Aidan

Rallye EIBFP
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Rallye EIBFP » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:28 pm

An airfield I've give importance to is Eaamons Griffins in Ardnacrusha, where he bases hit Aeronca Ei-BJC

Rallye EIBFP
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Rallye EIBFP » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:11 pm

I saw a little grass strip today just south of Nenagh, fine little strip, with windsock, anybody have any more info