FunFly Aerosports Flying Club
    mark
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

FunFly Aerosports Flying Club

by mark » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:24 am

Hi all,

FunFly Aerosports Flying Club (www.funfly.ie) is now open for new members. We have a fleet of 3 ICP Savannah S aircraft, 1 in the Group A category and 2 in the microlight category. If you hold a PPL(A) with a SEP rating, you can fly all three and the hours will count towards the revalidation of your SEP rating. If you hold a microlight licence, you can fly the two microlight versions.

We also offer upgrades from microlight licences to National LAPL and National PPL. Self-fly hire for members is €100 per hour, more details at www.funfly.ie or email us at info@funfly.ie

Regards,
    Mark
  • ryaner
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Re: FunFly Aerosports Flying Club

by ryaner » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:53 pm

Hi

Few questions about learning to fly in funfly. I'm wondering if you do lessons midweek or if it is all weekend based?

I did notice some zoom classes on the website which I assume is the classroom portion of the groundschool. Is there additional resources required for students to purchase or are the eLearning presentations enough to pass the IAA requirements?

Has a conversion course from the LAPL to PPL been setup yet, or I suppose could someone start the LAPL then just continue on to the PPL depending on how things are progressing?

Thanks
    Stephen
  • WingCommander
    Verified User
    Verified User

by WingCommander » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:58 pm

Hi Stephen

I'm sure Mark will be along soon to answer your specific queries, but I'd like to provide an independent opinion regarding Fun Fly. I've been flying in Ireland for many years, from different airfields, and last year I had the pleasure of joining Fun Fly. The lads in Fun Fly are some of the most knowledgeable guys in the business. They have years of experience which spans everything from technical through to every aspect of licensing. Mark (B), John and Mark (D) have been extremely helpful to me and from my experience they are one of the best training facilities in the country. There is no other school in Ireland, that I know about, that is offering training in a modern fleet of aircraft at the prices they offer, so if you are considering training at Fun Fly I'd highly recommend it. I've already told everyone that asks me about training that the only place to go is www.funfly.ie. Limetree is also one of the best kept airfields in the country and John and his family/ team run things really well.

Best of luck with your training, I'm sure you will enjoy every minute!

Oh and by the way, the Savannah's are an amazing aircraft! My preference over a 40 year old Cessna any day!
    mark
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by mark » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:07 pm

Hi WingCommander, thanks for the endorsement!

Hi Stephen,
    Few questions about learning to fly in funfly. I'm wondering if you do lessons midweek or if it is all weekend based?
    We offer lessons 7 days a week where possible - occasionally we don't have instructor availability on some days but we're working on this. But yes, we offer midweek and weekend flying.
    I did notice some zoom classes on the website which I assume is the classroom portion of the groundschool. Is there additional resources required for students to purchase or are the eLearning presentations enough to pass the IAA requirements?
    We'd recommend getting the Pooleys series of books which covers everything in detail. The objective of the groundschool classroom/zooms are to refresh knowledge and explain some of the more complicated topics. We have PPL starter packs that we offer to members at a discount.
    Has a conversion course from the LAPL to PPL been setup yet, or I suppose could someone start the LAPL then just continue on to the PPL depending on how things are progressing?
    Yes there's a National LAPL to National PPL course. It mirrors the EASA requirements which are:

Specific requirements for applicants holding an LAPL(A).
    Applicants for a PPL(A) holding an LAPL(A) shall have completed at least 15 hours of flight time on aeroplanes after the issue of the LAPL(A), of which at least 10 shall be flight instruction completed in a training course at a DTO or at an ATO. That training course shall include at least four hours of supervised solo flight time, including at least two hours of solo cross-country flight time with at least one cross country flight of at least 270 km (150 NM), during which full stop landings at two aerodromes different from the aerodrome of departure shall be made.

It's not currently possible to switch from a LAPL(A) to a PPL(A) mid-course. This is something that is being addressed in the current licensing NPA at European level but I reckon it could take a couple of years before it's available.

Hope this answers your questions. You're more than welcome to drop down to Limetree to take a look around. PM me for details or email info@funfly.ie

Regards,
    Mark
    Regards,
    Mark Dwyer
    www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
    FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information
  • ryaner
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by ryaner » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:06 pm

Thanks both for the responses. FunFly is more than twice the distance of Weston from me but I picked them in no small part due to the helpfulness of Mark.

Are the Zoom classes + self stuff enough to meeting the PPL requirements, or will I need to go somewhere like the NFC for that portion? Everywhere except the IAA site seems to list a classroom portion. I can't tell if there is an instructor endorsement requirement like the FAA.

How are lessons working during the current situation? I did purchase a 60 minute trial lesson at least to start the process. How adventurous can you get during those? Could there be demo's of S turns, touch and goes, perhaps in air stalls or slow flight, or will it be fairly tame?
    mark
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by mark » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:08 pm

Are the Zoom classes + self stuff enough to meeting the PPL requirements, or will I need to go somewhere like the NFC for that portion? Everywhere except the IAA site seems to list a classroom portion. I can't tell if there is an instructor endorsement requirement like the FAA.
    Yes, between self-study and the zoom classes you can be signed off for the IAA exams. We have some practice exams that you will have access to after each subject to prepare.
    How are lessons working during the current situation? I did purchase a 60 minute trial lesson at least to start the process. How adventurous can you get during those? Could there be demo's of S turns, touch and goes, perhaps in air stalls or slow flight, or will it be fairly tame?
    The usual Covid restrictions unfortunately but hopefully they will ease in time and we can have more of a club atmosphere. Speak with your instructor on the day and tell them what you would like to do. I don't see any problem demoing any of that stuff once the weather is suitable. All trial lessons are conducted by fully qualified instructors.

Regards,
    Mark