ATPL take 2

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

viz
Unverified User
Unverified User

ATPL take 2

Post by viz » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:40 pm

Hi Folks,

Need some help please. In a nutshell, I stopped flying in 2012. I had my PPL, Night rating, ATPL theory and I was just at the end of my CPL training ready to take flight test, when I like many hit financial disaster. After getting so far I was literally heartbroken to give it all up.

Anyway, Here I am again, take 2. I've to retake the Class 1, ATPL theory, flight training, and the associated flight tests.

If someone can advise me please -

Firstly, I've got a JAR/JAA PPL with lapsed SEP rating. Is my PPL still Valid to undertake the ATPL theory or do I need the SEP for it to be valid?

Secondly, is it possible to have some of my previous CPL hours credited towards the CPL/Multi IR flight training or will I have to start from scratch
I rang the IAA but didn't get a clear answer to be honest.

Many Thanks

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ATPL take 2

Post by mark » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:32 pm

Hi viz,

Welcome back!

If you had a JAA PPL then it probably had an expiry date on it, has the licence itself expired? If so this would need to be renewed prior to starting ATPL. The only way to do this is to renew your SEP while you're at it. There may be some minimum training required but this would be decided by the ATO that you undertake the training at.

I don't think the training hours would be valid but I'm not sure about this, perhaps somebody else could comment? Would you be completing the training at the same ATO as you did the previous training?

Regards,
Mark

viz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by viz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:06 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that, you are spot on. I managed to get a helpful person in the IAA whom confirmed exactly what you said.
I've to take a mini flight test after a few hours training to re validate my SEP, then apply for an EASA PPL . I can then take the ATPL course again and sit the exams.

Its down to the flight school if any credit of flight hours will be considered for the CPL and Multi IR..... fingers crossed.

Thinking of using NFC. if anyone has any recent experience, feel free to PM me.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:10 pm

Hi viz,

Thanks for the confirmation, useful to know. I did all my training at NFC but that was 10+ years ago so can't really comment on any recent experience.

Regards,
Mark