Anything to do with the Air Corps...

Moderator: mark

alan.byrne
Unverified User
Unverified User

Advice

Post by alan.byrne » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:40 pm

Error
Last edited by alan.byrne on Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:45 pm

Hi Alan.

Lots for your questions have been asked... and answered before. Have a look arounf the student forum (it's near the top), you'll find lot of info there.

Check this thread out in particular:
http://www.flyinginireland.com/forum/vi ... php?t=2542

Also, as regards the Air Corps, check out the forums on www.irishairpics.com - this is a brilliant site both for air corps pics and for advise from people who have been through the interview process. Also, check out the official site www.military.ie

The Air corps look for specific skills in their Cadet pilots. Leadership, maturity, responsibility, ability to make decisions under pressure and teamwork. i suggest you concentrate your efforts on getting a good CV together (you're the right age to start!!), so that you'll have lots of things to talk about in your intewrview. Sports teams are great, as well as things like lifeguarding skills and charity work.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting flying hours up, a good interesdt in flying is often enough.

Bear in mind that you must commit to the corps for several years after they take you on, so be sure it's what you want. I would DEFINETLY reccoment joining the reserve defence forces when you reach 17 Y.O. It's great fun and you will get a good taste for military life. You also get bonus points in your interview for the air corps if you're an active member.

College graduates also get bonus points. Consider going to college first also. It's nice to have your horizons broadened for a while before you get programmed by the government.

Consider applying to Baldonnel for 4th Year work experience. I dunno if they take on student or not but it's worth a shot! The air corps is tough to get into, but by no means impossible if you set your mind to it.

hope this helps,

Nano ;)
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

alan.byrne
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by alan.byrne » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:41 am

error
Last edited by alan.byrne on Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:56 am

That's a great CV for a chap your age, keep working on it! Can't really help you with a 'day in the life' I am afraid, other than saying first you are trained as a soldier in the curragh with the regular army and navy cadets and then you take the ATPL course which is pretty much the highest level licence a pilot can have. This takes lots of effort and lots of study.

Remember that an air corps pilot is still a military officer and will have to perfom military duties in the barracks and will be responsible for people as well. There is several months military training in the Curragh before you even look at a plane and you need to be mentally and physically fit for that as it's quite demanding. This is why you should join the reserves.

Obviously the RDF training is no where near as demanding, but it will give you a great insight into how the army do business. If you are lucky you will get to sometimes train with regular army personell and this will give you a good idea if it's for you.

Yes, there is an aircraft museum in Baldonnel, and I have heard of people who are interested in appling for the air corps getting in to Baldonnel for the day to chat to pilots and have a poke around. But I wouldn't worry about that till it's closer to the time to be honest.

www.military.ie has all the required skills for a pilot cadet listed on the site. In a cadet interview you will be asked "Tell me about a time when you showed leadership/ organisation/ teamwork etc etc.....

Your job now is to work on these skills so that you have something to talk about when the time comes. Best of luck to you :wink: .

Stop the pigeon,

Nano.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

SkyDiver
Unverified User
Unverified User

Sports???

Post by SkyDiver » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:05 pm

I have looked around different websites and Sports is supposed to look real good in your interview,
I believe I'm a good team player (I'll always help some one who needs it, to the best of my ability and I am not stubborn when it comes to other peoples ways of thinking)

my point is that unfortunately i only do Kung fu as "sport" and i am aiming for a black belt no matter what, but other sports I do as a pass time, could i use Kung fu as a sport in stead of foot ball, ect`because I'm not part of any clubs.

thank you for any advice you can give me

Much appreciated

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:42 pm

Hi Alan,

Just one other thing to ad to Nanolights very useful post....

You mentioned you've been to the Gaelteacht twice and you will be going back as a cinire. When you are applying for the Air Corps, you can select to do an Irish oral exam. All the interviews are in English but if you get to the last stage you do an interview with an Air Corps officer. When I say interview it's just a cupla focal outside before your interview. It's a pass/fail thing but it will give you an extra 5 points towards your score and coupled with the points from being in the RDF should put you well ahead of the others.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Mark

hupla
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hupla » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:41 pm

hey! I just wanted to reply to something nano said! Get work experience in baldonnel for 4th year! I did it and beleive me it helps your understanding alot! You find out how the whole place works and what the life is like so its a great insight! All you have to do is write a letter to the officer in charge! If you wish to know his name or any more info on it just ask me and i can get it for you:) From my understanding it is a first come first served way of picking the work experience so send it the summer before you start fourth year! Also you are very lucky to have some one close to you tht has a ppl! So if I were you I would ask to fly with him as much as possible! I hope I helped in some way!:)
Colin

spider2000
Unverified User
Unverified User

Interview

Post by spider2000 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:40 pm

Alan,
I agree with what everyone has been saying, particularly about the flying aspect. There is certainly no requirement to have a PPL as a few hours is more than enough to show your interest in flying, it also shows that you;ve flown and didn't find it an awful experience which is a possibility for some. As for the bonus points debate , you cannot accumulate points, ie: if you have PDF, RDF experience or a degree you can only receive one of the bonus points allotted. As it happens a degree is worth 10 points , PDF NCO is 6 points and private is 3 points , any member of RDF is ( as far as Im aware ) 2 points. I could be wrong on the numbers but its along those lines. At the age of 14 you're the perfect age to learn all aspects of the Air Corps( if you haven't already ) as this is most impressive in an interview. Also, try to gain a fairly in depth knowledge of how aircraft fly and general technical knowledge. A good site for this is www.howstuffworks.com. Try to visit Baldonnel and get shown around the hangars, this can easily be organised through the manpower officer, and will go someway towards showing your motivation towards becoming an Air Corps Cadet.

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:47 pm

Agree with the lads, get a tour of the place at least. Got a tour of Baldonnell and the lads were really helpful, met a senior officers, spent a few hours touring the place with a newly commisioned officer, had a look at Bal Radar and Tower, tour of most aircraft, Alouette, CASA, Dauphin, Gazelle etc. met with cadets and sat in with the grounschool instructer for a chat. It really stands up at interview, had already met with two of the officers on the final interview!

FCA/RDF is a good option to get a 'taste' of military life (some love it some hate it) and get a few extra points, competition is fierce so they help.

The Irish assesment is as Mark said, a few words in Irish, it's no different to your Irish LC oral with a focus on a career in the Air Corps. Family, where you live, why do you want to join etc.

Talking to a few of the officers and they had PPL but this is in no way a requirement, a few hours is definatly recommended though. Even if you can't get transition year there try get something in Weston, know of one guy who did that.

Anyone I talked to there always gave the same advice;

Be keen and show a strong interest in military aviation, they don't want to train pilots for City Jet!
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

squigs
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by squigs » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:38 pm

with regard to the air corp...

Prove to those on the interview board that you are a natural leader, responsible and a team player (who cares if its true or not...but dont get caught in cross questioning)....oh get used to acting very confident. Seriously brush up on all the basic physics and principles of flight...learn additional info to impress boards. Practice aptitude tests then practice them again....repeat this process if nessecary. Get very fit....contrary to popular belief this is very impressive to cadet boards, dont accept being able to run one and a half miles in jus under 11mins 30secs as being near adequate. Trust me when i say that these guide lines produce very good results.

Best of luck mate. 8)

hupla
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hupla » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:52 pm

squigs wrote:with regard to the air corp...

Prove to those on the interview board that you are a natural leader, responsible and a team player (who cares if its true or not...but dont get caught in cross questioning)....oh get used to acting very confident. Seriously brush up on all the basic physics and principles of flight...learn additional info to impress boards. Practice aptitude tests then practice them again....repeat this process if nessecary. Get very fit....contrary to popular belief this is very impressive to cadet boards, dont accept being able to run one and a half miles in jus under 11mins 30secs as being near adequate. Trust me when i say that these guide lines produce very good results.

Best of luck mate. 8)

squigs are u in the air corps? just at the end there u made it seem like u were?

Gally2
Verified User
Verified User

Re:

Post by Gally2 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:34 pm

Be keen and show a strong interest in military aviation, they don't want to train pilots for City Jet![/quote]

Hi GoGoGadgetGoAround. How do you or what is the best way to show a strong interest in military aviation? Perhaps know the aircraft the Air Corps operate, the engines, etc?