Belmullet airfield Co.Mayo FII Forum Fly-in & Meal-April

Please notify to this forum any events going on in the country related to Irish Aviation

Moderator: mark

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Belmullet airfield Co.Mayo FII Forum Fly-in & Meal-April

Post by jonkil » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:35 am

Lads & Lasses,
a few of us visited Belmullet last Sunday (4 planes) and had a nice meal at the fine restaurant at the golf club right beside the airfield.
The airfield is a large dry grass strip about 600m long.
We discussed the possibility of having a fly-in/get together and a meal there during April and we talked to the lady who manages the restaurant at the golf club if she could accommodate a number of aircraft arriving for a meal. She said she could if she knew the date and a rough ideas of the numbers and she would do a buffet style meal at a very reasonable rate for us (It is a very good restaurant & very reasonably priced all the time).
I have put the idea up on http://www.IrishFlyin.com and see where we go from there. It would be a nice venue for another forum fly out if you all think that the venue is OK, if you would like to come along then reply to this thread or drop me a PM so I can get ideas of numbers and I will set the date (weather dependant) nearer the time. I have provisionally set the dates sometime in the last 3 Sundays of April !..
The folk who manage the airfield at Belmullet are trying to Tarmack the airfield and are very happy to have visiting planes arriving and the more movements they have the better case they can present to council for funding to have the tarmacking done. It is a good strip as it is, set in a very beautiful rugged area of the country with spectacular scenery and the local people are very welcoming and enjoy seeing the visiting aircraft.
If you think you will be free around the end of April, then consider coming along.

Regards,
Jon
Last edited by jonkil on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

j3cub

Post by j3cub » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:26 am

Post Removed

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:07 pm

is Bellmullet 600m?? I thought it was 400m?? :?

j3cub

Post by j3cub » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:56 pm

Post Removed

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:46 pm

Few pics from my inventory from Belmullet....

I highly recommend this strip to anyone, amazing scenery, espically if coming from the southeast.... (or from any direction :P )

I used to fly in to Belmullet without PPR while in that corner of the country to stretch the feet, and while i've heard that arriving without PPR is totally acceptable, if you do call in advance it helps their movements log in their quest for a tarmac surface, also i've heard (from a fellow aviator) that if you PPR sometimes there'll be a warm welcome from a chap there that lives locally, I think he's a lifeboat operator or something, and that he's a total gentleman.

While in that area pop into Crosmolina also, HIGHLY recommend it, for some short - field practice and another warm welcome.

OSCAR BRAVO
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OSCAR BRAVO » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:04 pm

When the weather is good,theres no better place to be than Belmullet ,great scenery,great spot,if rather quite the whole year round. Hopefully theres a good attendance at Crossmolina this year,i remember two years ago G-AWKT(MS.880B Rallye) attended-a tight squeeze to say the least! very friendly bunch of people tho.

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:53 am

DonalMW wrote:While in that area pop into Crosmolina also, HIGHLY recommend it, for some short - field practice and another warm welcome.

Hi Donal, I'll second that.
Michael Toland is an absolute gentleman, we were in his strip on Sunday also, and Michael went over to Belmullet with us too. Picture of Michael's strip & Belmullet taken on Sunday.

Regards,
Jon
(PS) PM me if you are coming along in April, I will note it down for a rough ideas of numbers for the catering.

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi, i'm currently getting settled in the USA, so i'm out of the country for the foreseeable future......
I might be home for a fly-in or 2 very late in the season, and to visit a few old haunts....

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:38 pm

What part of the USA...??

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:58 pm

Vermont...... Near Burlington.....

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:43 pm

I'll try make this one, subject to Bank Balance

j3cub

Post by j3cub » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:38 am

Post Removed

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:59 pm

j3cub wrote:Are we going to aim for this weekend? Wx looked ok after 9 o'clock news.... Good to keep the momentum up after Birr!

J3

J3,
we have went for Sunday the 26th April for the Belmullet event.
If all folk could be on the ground for 12:30pm to eat at 1:00pm it would be excellent.
Now, if everyone intending to come can reply to this thread so I can present the catering staff with an idea of numbers it would be excellent.

Regards,
Jon

j3cub

Post by j3cub » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:49 pm

Post Removed

damienair
Verified User
Verified User

Post by damienair » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:32 pm

I'll be there really looking forward to it. I've been there a couple of times before, brilliant friendly spot and fantastic scenery.

Damien.
Pegasus XL 462
PILOTS are just PLANE people with a special AIR about them