Historic Irish Aviation Photo Quiz

This is a section where users can post pictures and video links

Moderator: mark

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:53 pm

G-BEMM - Motor Tutor cadet III is my guess
Last edited by Flyer1 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi all,
Flyer1 has it. BEMM it is. Slow as hell but great fun to fly.
regards
Stovepipe

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:01 pm

I really shouldn't be surfing the forums while in work. I won't be at the home PC till Friday so the floor is open to whoever to take my place. No point in holding up the whole game.....

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:34 pm

Hi all,
Here's a few from Tyabb, Melbourne, Australia and thereabouts.See what you can pick out in the hangar shot, especially.
regards
StovepipeImage[img]

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u128 ... f4604e.jpg[/img][img]

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u128 ... 19a1cf.jpg[/img]

With regard to the F86, apart from the cannon, early AIM-9s and a longer nose-leg, what other major difference did it have from standard F86s?
regards
Stovepipe
Last edited by stovepipe on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike C
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Mike C » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:35 pm

Hi Flyer1, your local knowledge has put me to shame :D .

Try this one:

Apologies as I had to take it from another site and all credit to the photographer.

My Chief Pilot told me about this aircraft. He did all his pre CPL hours in it.

Two questions:

1) Whats so special about this 182?

2) Where is it now?

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:37 pm

Sorry, there's a glitch there.
try thissun.Image
S

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:39 pm

Hi there
Is it a Robertson STOL C182? Did it get demodded and get registered in Ireland later?
regards
Stovepipe

Papa8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Papa8 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:32 am

Hi Stovepipe,

It seems the aircraft on the left is the F4U Corsair, or as one book I read called it "the bent-wing b*****d from Connecticut!"
No idea on the right one or the one on the manoeuvring area.

The reason I put this down as an Irish historic quiz is just that Mark stated long ago for this photos section of the forum he was happy so long as the photos had some Irish connection. I guess otherwise it could open up the section to every photo of every aircraft under the sun otherwise. :)
It only takes two things to fly:--- airspeed and money.

Papa8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Papa8 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:35 am

I think the reason why your photos appeared left to right instead of top to bottom is because the img tags are on one line. If you seperate each one to have its own line it may fix the issue. If this is not what has happened to you, apologies.

buggyB
Verified User
Verified User

Post by buggyB » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:32 am

Is the aircraft beside the Corsair a Boeing Stearman.

The difference mentioned in the F86 is the automatic radar ranging system for the cannon and can be seen in the lip at the top of the intake. This feature arguably changed the face of the Korean air war (the AIM-9's were not in service until the Taiwan crisis in 1958).

I'd heard of the 182 STOL conversion in the past but had forgotten all about it and never would have thought that there was one in Ireland. I think it was called a Wren or similar, based on the Robertson mods. Note the lifting canard on the sides of the engine cowlings behind the prop.
Last edited by buggyB on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:32 am

I belive that C182 was EI-ARN with that robertson stol kit as mentioned. Canard on the front and full span wing flaps.

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:03 pm

Hi all
Several D'ohs on my account there.Sorry!
The F86 already had the gun-ranging radar for the earlier 6 x .50in guns but it was not a great success, as there were several accounts from pilots complaining that it had failed in combat and was replaced by a wad of chewing-gum on the reflector.Also, early attempts to make the cannon work were marred by repeated engine failures(just like the Hunter)until they realised that the extra gun gases were choking the engine. The engine, on this Australian aircraft, was not the older J47 but an Avon, which required remodelling of the aft fuselage to make it fit.
The aircraft on the ramp is a Ryan PT-22, in it's original Dutch East Indies colours, restored from a jungle wreck.
In the hangar, a cannon-armed F4U Corsair, of the RNZAF, also retrieved from a former battlefield and subsequently traded to them by the man who found it. Beside it, you can see the original cowling from a P40. The biplane is a Stearman. The small engine on the right is a Gnome rotary. behind that is a Nakajima Sakae, taken from the New Guinea jungle.The only Irish connection was me, taking the pictures.
regards
Stovepipe

buggyB
Verified User
Verified User

Post by buggyB » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:23 pm

stovepipe wrote:The F86 already had the gun-ranging radar for the earlier 6 x .50in guns but it was not a great success, as there were several accounts from pilots complaining that it had failed in combat and was replaced by a wad of chewing-gum on the reflector.

I love hearing trivia tidbits like that, almost every historical account I heard of the Korean campaign lauds the radar gunsight. The thinking was that the MIG-15 could outturn the F86 in close in dogfighting and this sighting system allowed US pilots to keep the Migs at arms length and score kills with relatively long range shots.

Papa8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Papa8 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:30 pm

The recent photos give me an idea for a different quiz - The name what is in your Irish hangar quiz. :D :D

You have nearly mastered adding images to forums stovepipe. The img and /img need to bookend the image location/address on the same line but when you chop them in a way that they are over two lines you end up with just a link instead of the photo itself.

Several contributed to the last round of photos so why not say open floor. I would enjoy another 'name that aircraft from a cockpit view' if anyone has one. Tony anything in your collection worth sharing?

Mike C
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Mike C » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:55 pm

Hi guys,

Its split between Flyer 1 and Buggy B,

EI-ARN is correct, it was a Wren 460. Apparently it had a stall speed of 35kts!!! not bad for a 182.