private heli pads

Here's a section for all our rotorheads, both helis and gyros!

Moderator: mark

milo
Unverified User
Unverified User

private heli pads

Post by milo » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:17 am

neighbour want to stickin a heli pad, he's applied to the council, i and the wife don't want it, has anyone gota link to regulations and a sample list to objections i can look up?
thank
milo

tu154
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tu154 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:18 am

Well on an aviation website you're not likely to get help objecting to an aviation issue. However, have you considered the upsides? Your neighbor might be minded to take you on the occasional trip in the spirit of goodwill in return for tolerance of the pad. It's a unique experience seeing your house and locality from the air.
It's not likely to turn into the Galway races so not likely to be too busy.

Edited to correct spelling.

milo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by milo » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:05 am

no, i flew 22's a number of years ago, not doing it any more,family constraints...wife child etc... so i do know the noise and disturbance it causes, not interested in that, i didn't move down the country and build a house for that...
i think the approach and take off i highly obstructed and the on some days the wind will change so the take off would be over my house not enough clearance for a safe auto.
but what i'm looking for is a site for all the regulations so i can quote them in my objection to the county council.

ei6265
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ei6265 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:10 pm

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:42 pm

But there are no rules for having your own strip as regards fixed wing ops from home.. just guidelines but you can pretty much do your own thing... What is stopping this feen from landing his helicopter in his back yard regardless?

Like I presume a helipad is just a bit of concrete on the ground... why does he even need permission?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Bladecrack
Unverified User
Unverified User

Private Helipads

Post by Bladecrack » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:29 pm

He doesnt need any special permission if he builds a "garden patio" and wants to land his own private helicopter on it from time to time. If he wants planning permission for a helipad, then thats a different matter! As long as he isnt breaking any rules of the air flying in and out of his property, and has due consideration for his neighbours by not creating a lot of noise late at night then he isnt doing anything wrong...
BC.

K Byrne
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by K Byrne » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:34 pm

A real shaded area this.... you can operate in & out of your private site / house but as soon as a objection comes your way the local council will adopt the "change of land use " ruling as they have done several times already.
Dont be fooled by the IAA requirements as the council will have the final say when it comes to planning permission. This area needs to be addressed as soon as possible, at least 4 cases have ended up like this over the last 2-3 years.

Keith

milo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by milo » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:33 pm

look i don't want to come across as a spoil sport or a jealous neighbour that's doing this out of spite, god knows if i had a heli and land i'd want to have the trimmings like a pad etc.I loved flying the R22 when i did, but this is a genuine safety fear for my wife,child and house and if don't object at this stage i'll regret it. i've only withnessed 2 heli movements on this land in the last 5 years and only the last one (a bell 206) was really concerning as after lower hover and on transition it passed over my rear decking at probably 100ft and it was only then i got thinking.. then i read the notice in the paper for planning.. i not even sure if my neighbour owns a machine??
sorry in advance, but there is a airfield less than 2 miles from where i live.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:39 pm

Milo, Before going down the route of formal complaints and objections, wouldn't and couldn't it be better for everyone to go and have a grown up conversation with said neighbour? Along the lines of explaining your safety concerns, and explaining to him that you are not an uninformed NIMBY. You sound like a reasonable person, and if your neighbour is one to you could come to an agreed departure proceedure and a maximum number of movements. Certainly if I was your neighbour I would want to go out of my way to keep everyone happy.

If he or she won't, then, by all means go the heavy route. It just seems to me at this point you might be considering a Sledgehammer to crack a walnut?
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

milo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by milo » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:54 pm

ye
i suppose your right, i'll arrange to view the plans this week in the co.co offices and then approach for discussion, many thanks for all the info on regulations via this forum.
i'll keep you all informed on the out come safe flying.
thanks again

:oops:

K Byrne
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by K Byrne » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:53 pm

This may give you some guidance on the matter,

Development

Helicopter hangar, helicopter landing area and ancillary works at Cordarragh, Kiltimagh, Co. Mayo.

There is a first party appeal by Paul Walsh against a decision by Mayo County Council to refuse permission for the construction of a helicopter hangar and landing area and ancillary works at Cordarragh, Kiltimagh, Co. Mayo.

The applicant is the stated owner of the 0.470 hectare site. The proposed hangar would have a gross floor area of 510 square metres. The external walls of the structure would be finished in plastered blockwork and the roof would be finished in cladded sheeting. The development would also provide for five car parking spaces in the forecourt area and a hardstanding to form the landing pad. Galvanised security fencing would be provided around the perimeter of the site. The development is intended for private use only and to be used approximately twice a week. Details of estimated noise levels to be generated were submitted by way of further information.

Objections to the proposal were made by Joe and Marion Higgins, John and Berni Finn, and St. Aidan's National School. The grounds of objection related to health and safety impacts, impact on an SAC, poor road infrastructure, and proximity to a national school.

Green Party delighted with planning decision on Booterstown helicopter.

The Green Party has welcomed An Board Plean?la?s ruling that the landing of a helicopter adjacent to the Booterstown Bird Marsh in South Dublin constitutes development.

The Green Party has consistently opposed the landing of a helicopter by property developer Bernard McNamara at that location. Back in February 2005 Mr. McNamara had given assurances that the helipad would be removed. However in late April the helicopter landings resumed. At that time the Green Party stated the landings posed a risk to Booterstown Bird Marsh and to local residents as well as to traffic on the nearby Rock Road and rail passengers on the DART line.

Keith

Overpitcher
Unverified User
Unverified User

Green Party and landing heli's.

Post by Overpitcher » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:06 pm

The Green Party might give a different response to the marsh in Booterstown .... now that they don't have a problem ploughing a motorway through the Hill of Tara. Politicians would sicken your arse... jumping on the band wagon when it suits. All those votes objecting to heli landing ....
More money, more lift.

K Byrne
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by K Byrne » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:17 am

I studied this case in detail and highlighted the following points in favour of Mr Mc Namara,

The EPA noise study carried out (as requested by DLRCC) proved that a passing Dart train exceeded the noise of the landing Helicopter.

An Bord Pleanna decision was the site required planning permission because it was a change of land use, if you parked your car, motorcycle, truck, boat, bicyle would this also fall into the same class!! i think not. :twisted: [/b]

C152
Verified User
Verified User

Post by C152 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:25 am

Sure they land the heli in the building site anyway across the Rock Road, could they apply for a tempoary heli pad. Sure there is a big car park beside the swiftcall call centre could they not us that

K Byrne
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by K Byrne » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:01 pm

A Temp Helipad must be in compliance with the local Co Co (ie planning permission) not as easy as one thinks 152 :!: [/quote]