Taildragger/grass strip course

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

joe wynn
Verified User
Verified User

Taildragger/grass strip course

Post by joe wynn » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:25 pm

Good evening all,

I am looking to do a taildragger differences course and some grass strip flying.
Could anyone recommend a school? So far my search has only turned up nfc at Weston.

lookout
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Taildragger/grass strip course

Post by lookout » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi Joe

You might want to also consider the lads at Newcastle EINC.IE as they have recently got a supercub and they operate from a grass strip.

aviatorsguide
Verified User
Verified User

Post by aviatorsguide » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:26 pm

Hear the lads in EINC have a good machine alright with 180hp. They also operate with a cub in EITT doing differences training. Also good.

Take your pick and maybe learn a bit from them all. Stick and rudder is a must read for the wheeler landings. No point in being one of those "half a tailwheel pilot types" that can only 3 point them. You need every technique in your bag. 3 point, 2 point, wheeler, tail low wheeler, flap dump and know when to use each. I'm out of practice but I used to be ok at it.....

William

Yahweh
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Yahweh » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:15 pm

having just finished a taildragger rating on the cub I found it some of the most pleasurable flying I've ever done. That said landing the thing is a challenge, I would definitely be interested in a few more hours on a cub but I thought the one in newcastle is private? Anyone know is this a club aircraft and if so who do I need to contact to get a few hours on it :D