Have my PPL now to nervous to fly!

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

dhblewis
Unverified User
Unverified User

Have my PPL now to nervous to fly!

Post by dhblewis » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:57 pm

Hey,

I did my skills test in the states when I was 16 and just received the licence today! I haven't been able to fly in a year due to funds but I can afford it now however there is one major setback. I am really nervous for some reason. I have lost all confidence in my flying ability.

I know I am going to have to get a checkout to rent the plane & I want to get a good few hours before I go solo to get familar with Irish Airspace, ATC & joining patterns etc.

Anyone have any advice apart from get over myself and go fly!

Glenn
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Glenn » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:24 pm

Hi

I'm not quite in that situation but i see shades of how you feel in my situation. I passed my PPl in January of this year and have flown 5 or 6 hours since getting it and nothing since the start of June. I'm studying for the atpl's so i've been concentrating on these. It is my intention however to obviosuly start flying again once finished and indeed i have to build up hours.

My plan is to do a number of hours with an instrictor before i head off and fly a huge amount, whether it be in Ireland or the states. Getting an instructor to correct anything i have wrong before i do say 100 hours is key here. I would say re-visiting some of the emergency procedures is a must i.e stalls, pfl's etc.

Personally i think this will make me and maybe yourself feel a lot more comfortable.

Just my take on things anyway.

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:40 pm

My advice would be to try and get up with someone with some experience, just as a passenger in the right seat.
Then get checked out somewhere, and go flying but bring someone experienced with you for the confidence boost for your first few trips.

There's many people who I'm sure would give their right leg to come up as a passenger to help another pilot out, myself included :D

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:52 pm

KeithT wrote:My advice would be to try and get up with someone with some experience, just as a passenger in the right seat.

There's many people who I'm sure would give their right leg to come up as a passenger to help another pilot out, myself included :D
I've done this for someone before :lol: :lol: twas the business :)
Regards,
M747
:D

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:48 pm

get loads of engine failure practice in a quiet airfield droppeing her in without power from all known angles.

works wonders for the confidence.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:04 pm

Do the checkout, find someone who is a flyer who knows their stuff who wants to be in the sky, doesn't care what way it is. Ask them to go flying with you until you are comfortable, while they won't be instructors they may be able to offer you valuable tips and what does/doesn't work in their experience.

Irish Airspace is a bit of a no brainer compared with some of the busier countries.

The main thing is to get out there and have some fun ! Enjoy your flying, but be safe :)

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:00 am

The only way is to simply to do it. Get with an instructor and fly. I was often nervous when I didn't fly much. Even now if I'm off for a couple of weeks. It makes me think. But once you get going it all comes back. Expect the first couple of flights to be a bit ropey. Don't worry about it. Even experienced pilots lost something when they are off flying for a while.

buggyB
Verified User
Verified User

Post by buggyB » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:28 pm

Ditto what has been said. I'll add that experience is something that you will gain with time, but currency (both varieties) is important at this early stage. Your skill is fresh but will fade rapidly and you would be wise to stay current to build muscle memory. A lot of fresh PPL put off flying until, before they know it, 2 years have gone by and their class rating is about to lapse. Then they find it very difficult to jump straight back in because they have lost some of that muscle memory.

With experience the skill will fade less quickly so that after a 6 month or year long break, for whatever reason, you would find that you get your groove back after an hour or so.

dhblewis
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dhblewis » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Thanks for all the advice.

I'll book a flight on Monday & get back up flying. Hopefully I haven't forgotten everything Hopefully I can practise engine failures & ATC the two things I am most worried about...

Dakota
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Have my PPL now to nervous to fly!

Post by Dakota » Fri May 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Definately take a couple of flights with an instructor to get your bearings and boost your confidence. It will all come flooding back. Your nervousness will keep you safe. Statisically the most risky flying hours are those between gaining a PPL and 100 hours due to lack of experience and over confidence. You're already a step ahead...take to the air!