PPL training ireland v usa

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

daveyb
Unverified User
Unverified User

PPL training ireland v usa

Post by daveyb » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:11 pm

Hi all,
Im looking for advise on training in the usa, im doing my ppl in ireland at the moment i have about 24 hrs done.

the problem i have like us all is the weather and the costs the later being a real factor i was looking at going to OBA to complete my traning as i would have enough $ to get me over the line and complete the PPL.

the reason i didnt go to florida at the start for my training was trying to get time of work,almost impossible but since i have been let go( business quiet)for a couple of weeks i was thinking of using this to my advantage by going over to the usa.

any one got any recent info on OBA i.e what there like? what the weather would be like / student visa etc.

sorry just remembered another question i dont want to pay up front for training do the schools in the us insist on full payment.

Rgds Davey

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Re: PPL training ireland v usa

Post by hibby » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:48 pm

You're not the first person in your situation to ask these questions on this forum - if you look you'll find some previous threads that might be helpful.

I was like you, and went to OBA. My experience at OBA was mixed - some good aspects, some bad; overall it was a success, because I passed my test and got my licence.

It was also a very good time in my life; lots of flying, good people.

Against that, there was really quite a lot of flying time lost to weather. Day after day of sitting in the flight school looking at the sky and waiting for the winds to die down, or for the fog to clear. Not everyone had a good outcome - some people came home without their licence for various reasons.

Regarding paying up-front: yes, if you buy a package, you will have to pay up front. And you may have to pay more when you are there. Possibly much more. Basically, as soon as you exceed a certain number of hours to reach a certain stage of your training, you start paying an hourly rate, which is much more expensive. So be sure you have set aside more than just the basic amount of money. Also, if at all possible, set aside more than the basic amount of time. They say you can do your PPL in 3 weeks, and some people do, but if you get a run of bad weather you're bunched. If you can allow 4 or 5 weeks, so much the better.

daveyb wrote:Hi all,
Im looking for advise on training in the usa, im doing my ppl in ireland at the moment i have about 24 hrs done.

the problem i have like us all is the weather and the costs the later being a real factor i was looking at going to OBA to complete my traning as i would have enough $ to get me over the line and complete the PPL.

the reason i didnt go to florida at the start for my training was trying to get time of work,almost impossible but since i have been let go( business quiet)for a couple of weeks i was thinking of using this to my advantage by going over to the usa.

any one got any recent info on OBA i.e what there like? what the weather would be like / student visa etc.

sorry just remembered another question i dont want to pay up front for training do the schools in the us insist on full payment.

Rgds Davey

daveyb
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by daveyb » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Hi Hibby,

thanks for the reply i am thinking of allowing my self 4 weeks and i will have a few $ extra with me.

as for the weather i was thinking the days i cant fly i would do the exams/briefing, im a very time orientated person through my job

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:49 pm

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

daveyb
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by daveyb » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:54 pm

Thanks Nano
for those two links looks like i could be heading to florida soon i wonder what the flight school here ?are going to say to me when i give them the bad news.

davey