Airfields on the Costa del Sol......?

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Airfields on the Costa del Sol......?

Post by michael747 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:49 pm

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if there is any airfields on the costa del sol?
I am aware of the obvious airports in Malaga and Almeria etc..
Is there no small airfields to the equivilant of EIWT or EIAB etc?

Gibraltar is out of the question as they´re probably the most expensive airport in the world to operate into.....

And Jerez is no closer to where i go on hols in Costa del Sol every few months.... (It´s just outside Estepona!)
Regards,
M747
:D

dara
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dara » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:38 pm

There is one just outside Malaga but the atc only speak spanish so you have to bring a safety pilot with you even after being checked out.

These guys provide the planes but I cant think of the name of the airfield.

http://www.aerodynamics-malaga.com/

D.
If you are asking me if this old plane is safe to fly, how do you think it got to be this old?

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:31 pm

Thanks for that dara,

Is that place not located in Malaga airport???
I think it is..... It says Malaga Int Airport.

I think Jerez is probably the best place to go to, as i cant find anywhere else.....
They only require a safety check out - not 5 hrs like most places at home.....
Their C172 is only 126 per hour - not bad at all :D

It´d be great to see a small airstrip between Gibraltar and Malaga though

Thanks again dara.

Does anyone else know of anywhere????
Regards,
M747
:D

buggyB
Verified User
Verified User

Post by buggyB » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:32 am

dara wrote:There is one just outside Malaga but the atc only speak spanish so you have to bring a safety pilot with you even after being checked out.

ATCO's are now subject to similar language proficiency requirements to the ones that have recently been stipulated for pilots.

Amendment 164 to Annex 1 has introduced strengthened language proficiency requirements for flight crew members and air traffic controllers. The language proficiency requirements apply to any language used for radiotelephony communications in international operations. Therefore, pilots on international flights shall demonstrate language proficiency in either English or the language used by the station on the ground. Controllers working on stations serving designated airports and routes used by international air services shall demonstrate language proficiency in English as well as in any other language(s) used by the station on the ground.

From ICAO website: http://www.icao.int/icao/en/trivia/peltrgFAQ.htm#23

Seems that if they are proper ATC (as opposed to a ground radio station) at an international airport then they should speak passable English. Of course you are right, and indeed wise, in saying that a local safety pilot would be a good idea but I would imagine that one could get by with just English.

dara
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dara » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:57 am

I was in with Aerodynamics after xmas looking at renting and went in and talked to them in their office and thats the story I got about rentals. The twins for training are in Malaga but he Singles aren't anymore as you could end up sitting for 45mins waiting to take off in Malaga if VFR.
I think that airfield is unlicenced or something along those lines and thats why the atc isn't in English.
Thanks for the annex lesson tho Buggy :?
If you are asking me if this old plane is safe to fly, how do you think it got to be this old?

buggyB
Verified User
Verified User

Post by buggyB » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:12 am

Righty oh, I kinda got the same impression as Michael747 from the website that the place was Malaga Int airport, but if you were there then fair enough.

shamrock/heavy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by shamrock/heavy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:12 am

For a light General Aviation flight i would not recommend Malaga airport, because recently i've flown there IFR from Jerez although ATC were very helpfull one got the impression they were not too happy, especially the fact that we were in cloud and couldn't comply with some of their vectors due to MSA and speeds due to mountain waves( PA28 full power 65kt and still decending at 200fpm). For a finish they had at least three aircraft inbound to MARTIN VOR reduce speed to final approach speed 30 nm from touch down, needless to say there were some un-happy campers :x

There are many airfields littered around between Jerez and Malaga, but they all appear to be private with just one aircraft sitting on the ground and the odd crop sprayer. Just looking at my map now i do see an airfield the far side of Malaga called La Axarquia Leoni Benaba. In fact just check this page out it's got them all. Hope this helps.

http://www.andalucia.com/adventure/lightaircraft.htm