Kilkenny

Disscusion on plane spotting, visitors, airlines, routes, airports, equipment etc.

Moderator: mark

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Kilkenny

Post by Lambada Crazy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:00 pm

Hi all, just wondering what are the joing procedures for Kilkenny airfield and is there much of a difference on landing on grass than tarmac, ive landed as a passenger a couple of times on grass, but im thinking of taking a spin to EIKL tommorow and am unsure weather to bring an instructor with me
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:22 pm

Standard overhead at 1500' QFE with a dead-side descent and crosswind join onto a left hand 800' circuit is generally the way we do it. Shout your position on Kilkenny Radio 122.9. Keep your eyes open for gliders, they're often active on weekends and tend to do their own thing! Kilkenny is 300ft amsl.

I did my first 10 hours on tarmac (EIAB), then changed to grass in EIKL with intermittant trips back to the tar. I reckon grass is more forgiving but you might be surprised at how rough it is. Keep some back pressure on when your on the ground to protect your nosewheel!

The runway is significantly smaller than EIWF which might throw you a bit if it's not what you're used to, look out for the water tower on approach to 27. Also, the 27 runway slopes away from you as well. Bear this in mind. The quarry to the north of the field is a great landmark from far away, as is the red hangar. I might see you there. :P
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Papa8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Kilkenny

Post by Papa8 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:41 pm

Edited: Nanolight beat me to it and gave a better summary. Nanolight out of curiosity when did you start at EIAB?

Bearing in mind that I have just joined Kilkenny Flying Club and am a SPL please take my points below with the relevant inexperience that goes with this.

Kilkenny operates a standard overhead join similar to Abbeyshrule et al but quite different to Weston's circuit.

That is fly overhead the field at 1500ft QFE, descend the dead side (LH circuits) join abeam the upwind runway threshold at circuit height of 800ft QFE and make appropriate radio calls obviously en route to field, downwind and even base if felt necessary. Turn base if landing on 27 just before approaching the city. There is a fairly distinctive quarry en route that will bring you to the field but hopefully someone else will describe the orientation of this to the field as I have let this slip from my last lesson. Peter Tawse is the CFI there and an excellent instructor as well as being the ideal person to really give you a good briefing of other VRPs depending on your departure point.

My personal advice is if you have never tackled a grass runway before then an experienced pilot/instructor is recommended even if it is the longest grass runway in Ireland (licensed anyway).

As for grass vs tarmac I have learnt at Abbeyshrule and now have returned to learning to fly at Kilkenny so have some limited ability to compare two surfaces. Kilkenny's grass surface is obviously kinder to absorbing a heavy landing and has some natural undulation which may give you a longer float due to slope something a Lambada if that is what you are flying seems to tend towards.

Also Alphalaura might be a valuable contributor if she comes across this thread as she has obviously dealt with both Waterford and recently Kilkenny.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:22 am

Hi P8

I started in Ultraflight in Abbeyshrule in Summer 2005. Although I'm from Kilkenny, I was mad for microlight flying and that was the only place you could do it. Plus I have family involved in the airfield there and could always find a place to stay in Longford!

Really enjoyed my time with Ultraflight but the trip up and down to the place was doing my nut in though, luckily I met vinny up there polishing his spanking brand new Samba XXL one day and he told me about the club opening in Kilkenny. Needless to say I was delighted... another few weekes of that drive and I would have jacked the whole thing in!

Loved Abbeyshrule though, Looking forward to popping up for a visit when I get my PPL.

[Also, I think grass is kinder to a landing that might not be the straightest!]

Papa8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Papa8 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:32 am

Sorry for the hijacked thread but I figure Lambada Crazy is making preparations for his flight by now. I was learning with Aeroclub 2000 in 2002/3 but had to clear other debts and so am only now returning to learning to fly. I really loved Abbeyshrule but due to relocation it is easier now to get to EIKL. I am still doing a PPL(A) but will keep an eye out for you in Kilkenny. I will be out there tomorrow and next Saturday. You would know Matt Tormey well I presume?

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:20 pm

Yes, sorry nano light, didnt make it to kilkenny, we ventured to Kilrush Instead, Myself Flyer1 and alphalaura. Im sure flyer1 will have the pics up soon!!!!
Thanks for the advice

Lambada Crazy

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:54 pm

Oooh pictorial evidence!

Myeh well, you'll know the next time. As it happens I wasn't out there either. Went shoppin in Carlah!

airoshane
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by airoshane » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:59 pm

I m a complete stranger to grass too. I hope to finish the PPL in the next month and give Kilkenny a visit before the winter weather kicks in. Atlantic will kill me if I dirty their lovely clean 172!

I m used to a 7000 foot runway in Cork but I've spent many hours in the circuit fine tuning my short field landings.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:16 am

Nanolight, and yes we did go " just for the spin ". Must see how the owl pics came out on the camera.

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:37 pm

*cough are you there? :)

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:38 pm

If anyone saw us take off please wipe this from your memory for ever lol!!!!! :o :o :o :D