Aer Arann anounce Waterford base

Disscusion on plane spotting, visitors, airlines, routes, airports, equipment etc.

Moderator: mark

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:18 pm

No doubt there'll be expansion, but Waterford will never compete with the likes of Dublin or Cork. I'll believe it when I see it.

LadJet
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by LadJet » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:42 pm

What makes you think that Waterford needs to compete with Cork and Dublin ?

LJ

Lofty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Lofty » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:34 pm

Easy now bear in mind the following, i recently flew Dublin- Luton.

Left my house in South Dublin @ 6.00am for a 8.10am departure and didnt get to airport till 7.25am, departed Dub @ 8.20am and landed Luton 9.30am and reached London @ 10.55am.

What happens when Dublins Terminal + new Runway starts??? I can drive to Waterford from my house in less than 2 hours at that time of the day and with no delays or a walk of 2 miles to board your Aircraft. :?:

BTW I was lucky to get the flight @ Dub on the morning in question!
It took me 5 hrs to get to destination!

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:44 pm

2 Hour drive from South Dublin - Waterford ? Not doubting you or anything, but at that time of the morning with traffic, no chance. Unless of course you " flex " the speed limit which we all know is against the law.

Lofty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Lofty » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:24 pm

I am talking about 6.00am in the morning as clearly stated in my posting, what traffic would you encounter on the N11 southbound?? unless of course its between 17.00-19.00hrs Mon-Fri :D

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:27 am

If we're being picky then, if you flight is to leave Waterford at 8.10am, and you leave Dublin at 6am. A 2 hour drive leaves you shy of making check in. And also, if you've seen the condition of the road to the airport as of late, you'll stick to Dublin.

flywaterford
Unverified User
Unverified User

Waterford airport Plans

Post by flywaterford » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:02 am

From what I heard not certain if it is through or not think it is though.

They are hoping to get 16.5 million of the 63 million grant. What they hope will happen is that they will have permission to start on extending the runway straightaway. When that starts they will start almost start straight away on the terminal building although I wouldnt expect it to be anything massive maybe enough for about 3 planes at a time which i think is enough. I would expect them also to plan for a firestation. i also think that more hangars for the small planes will be introduced. Im certain that the runway extension will be towards the sea direction because there is not much room up the other end and a emergency road is close to the runway up there too. i think there planning on at least 1800m altogether.

I think that flyu are meant to be starting in early May. with the extra route to birmingham with aer arann.

If there is anymore news will post it as soon as I know

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:38 pm

Good times ahead then for Waterford, hopefully.

DivX
Unverified User
Unverified User

The story tellers are at it again ?

Post by DivX » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:39 pm

Although we would love to see them out with their buckets and shovels once the funding is announced, nothing will happen with the runway until 2008. Land purchases, environmental studies and all the hoops you have to jump through with the IAA will keep them busy for 2007. Also none one yet knows what the final plans for the runway actually are ? It is it an extension to 03, to what length 1800 or 2000 ? Will it be widened to 45m does it need a complete resurface to improve its PCN ?

Id also be surprised if they start any major building work this side of summer. The published summer timetable at flywaterford.com does not show any Aer Arann flights operating at the same time like last year. If they coped with 3 ATR72?s on the ground at the same time with up to a total of 420 passengers (70 X 3 X 2) over a 90 minute period they should be able to cope with a 146 and a 72 the max passengers would be only 340 (70 + 100 X 2). Although it is a bit of a squeeze in the arrivals hall.

The major issue I have seen is ramp space, squeezing 3 72?s on the current ramp last summer was credit to both the pilots and marshallers. I would not like to try it with a single 146 and a 72. If the airport wants to attract more business they need somewhere to park them.

Looks like FlyU have confirmed the following destinations on local radio during the week although no timetable has been published, all flights will be twice per week with a BAe146-200

Amsterdam
Bordeaux
Faro
Malaga
Nice

My sources say that the funding for all regionals should be announced next week. It will be interesting to see who gets what. Everyone is looking for a lot of money from such a small pot.

Regards

Divx

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:45 pm

The taxiway would also be a bigish problem at present. It's quite narrow for something like a B738 if that's what the airports aim is to bring in, free grass cutting being an advantage of it though. Not quite sure on the current taxiway width, but it's enough for the wings of a Motorglider to droop into the grass.

mikejuliet
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mikejuliet » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:40 pm

If the government was to invest in small airports in key areas of the country there would be bigger better airports, people dont want to travel to dublin or shannon, and unfortunatly their the airports the government are investing heavily into, dowlingm the traffic numbers are indeed correct but look at the government input:

[quote="dowlingm"]

Traffic numbers
Dublin ?????????? 18,451,000
Cork ?????????? 2,730,000
Shannon ?????????? 3,302,000

Donegal (Border region) ?????????? 47,776
Sligo (Border region) ?????????? 39,593
Knock-(West region) ?????????? 530,084
Galway (West region) ?????????? 253,309
Kerry (South West region) ?????????. 382,678
Waterford-(South East region) ????????.. 74,357
quote]

In the first round of Regional Airport funding, Waterford recieved ?1,895,000, they received a further grant of ?410 for Extra Security Measures. In the Second Round of Funding for the NDP funding Waterford Recieved ?1,980,000 wheras Kerry Recieved ?2,013,000. In recent years waterford received no funding under the PSO reigime, where Galway recieved ?1M and Kerry recieved ?1.3M, how can you expect the PAX numbers to be down, I know in recent year Dublin was applying for some ?130 million for a project at the airport, there only investing half that into 6 regional airports.

Mike Juliet
Mike Juliet

DivX
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by DivX » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:44 pm

Just been on Waterford Airport's website and see that they are looking for a Student Controller.

Not many regionals training themselves outside the IAA these days

23rd January 2007 - Student Air Traffic Control Officer

Due to continuing growth at Waterford Airport, we now have a vacancy for a Student Air Traffic Control Officer.

Air Traffic Control Officers at Waterford Airport are responsible for the safe, orderly and expeditious movement of air traffic on and in the vicinity of the airport and within our area of responsibility.

This is a unique opportunity to become part of a small enthusiastic team in an exciting industry where no two days are the same.

Training will be provided at Rudloe ATC Training College, UK and at Waterford Airport. Suitable applicants will possess;

1. The Leaving Certificate with a minimum of five passes, which should include English & Maths and Grade C in two
Higher Level papers;

2. An equivalent qualification or relevant experience in Aviation may also be acceptable.

The successful applicant will be at least 21 years of age and will be required to undergo a Class 3 Aviation Medical examination before being accepted for training. Full time employment will only be offered when the student has been awarded an Air Traffic Control Officer?s licence issued by the Irish Aviation Authority.

Closing date for applications is Wednesday 31st January 2007.

Please forward your CV to: Donal Leahy Air Traffic Services Manager Waterford Airport, Killowen, Co. Waterford. Telephone: 051-875589

Email: atccareers@waterfordairport.net

WATERFORD AIRPORT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER.

Dublin Spotter
Unverified User
Unverified User

Fly U

Post by Dublin Spotter » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:01 am

I see that flyU are to start operations from Galway raher than waterford, any info on this?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/?jp=CWSNQLGBGBQL

EIWAT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Fly U

Post by EIWAT » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:34 am

Dublin Spotter wrote:I see that flyU are to start operations from Galway raher than waterford, any info on this?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/?jp=CWSNQLGBGBQL

Do ya not think they can operate from both airports and get the most out of the market
Regards

EI-WAT

DivX
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by DivX » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:11 pm

I think you need to read the first page of this thread ....

"FlyU is a new regional airline which will be based at Waterford Airport. It will provide regular services to European cities and holiday destinations using a BAE 146 200 series aircraft. Services will also be provided from Galway to holiday destinations.
The airline is now recruiting suitably qualified personnel for its Waterford based"