Aer Arann anounce Waterford base

Disscusion on plane spotting, visitors, airlines, routes, airports, equipment etc.

Moderator: mark

LadJet
Unverified User
Unverified User

Aer Arann anounce Waterford base

Post by LadJet » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:45 pm

Aer Arann have confirmed that their base at Luton will close in January and a new base will open in Waterford from May.

The Waterford based aircraft will operate a twice daily service to London with a daily service to Manchester and Birmingham.

A Galway based aircraft will also operate the usual Lorient service for the summer season.

Waterford is also expected to announce the name of the new Jet carrier by the end of the year with seats on sale from January. Services to Malaga, Paris, Berlin, Faro and Barcelona are expected to start in from April.

mini
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mini » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:01 am

This is good news. I hope it succeeds.

'Scuse my ignorance (and laziness...) but what length is the runway at Waterford? can it take a 737? Any nav aids?

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:14 am

Runway is 1433m @ EIWF. Still not long enough for a 737 but there are rumour's flying around ( excuse the pun ) of something major being done at the airport in the not too distant future. There's an ILS/DME onto rwy 21 at the field, an NDB and there's an NDB approach procedure for rwy 03 also.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:38 pm

As little as another 400m would see a 737 get in without too many problems. I can't really see the need though, with the road to Dublin being as good as it is and Cork being close enough too. But plenty of People have said that about the Lo-Cos before and they still seem to draw in the numbers!
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:32 pm

Flyer1 Said:
Runway is 1433m @ EIWF. Still not long enough for a 737 but there are rumour's flying around ( excuse the pun ) of something major being done at the airport in the not too distant future. There's an ILS/DME onto rwy 21 at the field, an NDB and there's an NDB approach procedure for rwy 03 also.

Ha ha, I've heard that ones been stuck in mid air for about 15 years now, how about a taxiway?

Regards & A Merry Christmas To You All!

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:54 pm

Cosmic, if you've driven the road from Waterford to Dublin you'll know it is far from a good road. Cork is a 90 minute drive and the road is superb ( apart from about a 2 mile section of it around Youghal ). Wait hang on, superb road in ireland ? Thats a lie.

I can't see there being demand for something as big as a 738, but certainly if they increased the frequency of REA's it would help greatly.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:06 am

I can't see there being demand for something as big as a 738

Loads of people say that about the LoCos but they seem to fill planes from the most obscure of places to the most obscure of places. I never thought the Cork Dublin service would work but there are rumours of added frequency so it just goes to show.

As for the Waterford Dublin road you might be right. I am just so impressed by the new N11 which is FAB virgil, but it doesn't really go all the way to Waterford yet does it. Typical Bloody Jackeen Cosmic!
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

FLYbyWIT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by FLYbyWIT » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:02 pm

I heard the new airline basing in Waterford is either called flyU or flyU2,,,
They will be operating the 146 outta there commencing in the early new year.

ted
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ted » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:13 pm

the ramp at waterford is going to get v crowded :D
btw there was talk of a pliatus owned by local biz men being based there.
has this happened

EIWAT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIWAT » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:15 pm

Yeah the PC-12 is based at the Airport at the moment N660WB is the reg.
Regards

EI-WAT

ted
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ted » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:18 pm

just saw ads by flyu
they are looking for ops manager, first officers, captains, engineering,
executive + managerial and a chief pilot.

"FlyU is a new regional airline which will be based at Waterford Airport. It will provide regular services to European cities and holiday destinations using a BAE 146 200 series aircraft. Services will also be provided from Galway to holiday destinations.
The airline is now recruiting suitably qualified personnel for its Waterford based"

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:51 pm

The PC12 has been there for over a month now ted. Nice comfy machine to fly in aswell :D

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:54 pm

Hey F1,

how come you get to fly all the planes. I get to sit looking at the fog in the midlands!!!

Happy Xmas

Willo

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:17 pm

heres a link to a pic of the pc12 http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=544497 yes, as ye say, the ramp at Waterford Airport is about to get full very fast, Biron historical avi , :D as far as im aware the runway has only been around for about 15 years, and with a new EU grant floating around of about 60 million, the runway extension is looking more and more promising.
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

LadJet
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by LadJet » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:12 am

Lambada Crazy you need to add a few years to your 15 year estimate, I take it you did not get a christmas card, its celebrating 25 years of scheduled operations with Avair flying a shorts 330/360 in 1981.

Also FlyU should be making an official announcement early in the new year.

LJ