This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

mixturerich
Verified User
Verified User

Informing IAA about medical conditions

Post by mixturerich » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:10 pm

Hi folks,

Just wondering, for a PPL holder,in what circumstances do you need to inform the IAA that you have a medical condition?

Also, what medical conditions are deemed reportable to the IAA?

Cheers,

Mixturerich.

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Informing IAA about medical conditions

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi Mixturerich,

There should be some general notes on the back of your medical but nothing specific for particular medical conditions.

In general if you have the need for regular use of medication then you would report it. Best bet is to get onto the IAA and have a chat with them.

Have been looking around for requirements online but they're tricky to track down!

Andy
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:11 pm

Every holder of a medical certificate who is aware of:

• any significant personal injury involving incapacity to function as a member of a flight crew; or

• any illness involving incapacity to function as a member of a flight crew throughout a period of 21
days or more; or

• being pregnant,

shall inform the IAA in writing of such injury or pregnancy, and as soon as the period of 21days
has elapsed in the case of illness.
Regards,
M747
:D

Flange Bracket
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Flange Bracket » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:25 pm

Having had to deal with that woman in the IAA I'd advise you to tell her nothing. If you shouldn't fly then don't and then start flying again when you're able. Once you tell her anything it will be very hard to get your medical back.

I renewed my medical in the uk after I was told I couldn't have one here. The CAA didn't have a problem with my temporary condition but Dr R was adamant I wouldn't get a medical here for a long time!

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:07 pm

I do agree with her being unreasonable sometimes, However;

The last time i fractured my wrist there were no problems, It was an initial phonecall to tell her i was unfit to fly, and when i had healed fully after 6 weeks, all i had to do was send her the docs letter saying i am back to the usual 100%.... And that was it - No hassle whatsoever... Went flying the next day.....
Regards,
M747
:D

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:26 pm

Flange Bracket wrote:Having had to deal with that woman in the IAA I'd advise you to tell her nothing. If you shouldn't fly then don't and then start flying again when you're able. Once you tell her anything it will be very hard to get your medical back.

I renewed my medical in the uk after I was told I couldn't have one here. The CAA didn't have a problem with my temporary condition but Dr R was adamant I wouldn't get a medical here for a long time!
Just another reason to keep all things flying related on a British card or US of A one.

Trigger
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Trigger » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:28 pm

I agree, tell her nothing. Discuss with a decent AME (off the record, or in third party mode), then decide.

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi all,
Given that it's now blindingly obvious who you are referring to, I'd like to remind you that some of her Irish predecessors were as bad or worse. When all civilian CPLs had to go thru Bricins', along with the Air Corps fellas, passing the Class 1 was damn hard and it was a lot easier to be failed than passed. Anyone who wore glasses had a tough time and I know of several people who had to have several tries at passing their Class 1.
As an aside, if you fail to inform the IAA and they find out later, your license may be revoked or you may have to a Class 1 initial all over again.
regards
Stovepipe

Trigger
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Trigger » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:57 pm

I'd like to remind you that some of her Irish predecessors were as bad or worse. When all civilian CPLs had to go thru Bricins', along with the Air Corps fellas, passing the Class 1 was damn hard and it was a lot easier to be failed than passed. Anyone who wore glasses had a tough time and I know of several people who had to have several tries at passing their Class 1.
The original post referred to a PPL (Class2 not Class 1) so it's medical fitness requirements are not as high as Class 1. I'm also not condoning or advising hiding any medical conditions you may have, from the IAA, instead consult your local AME and discuss with him or her first off the record, and then decide.
The experience I (PPL) had with her previous Irish colleagues would be in stark contrast to what you say, I found them very approchable with any queries, not so this person, and in my case (I stress my) it was her interpretation of the Law that she was basing her decision on , and that interpretation did not hold water with other AMEs and indeed other JAR juristictions.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:51 am

Does this mean she's gone.....?

http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=126&n=414&a=960" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Jim » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:07 pm

Not quite gone yet Mark.
but Her contract does expire shortly and is not being renewed.
Defending the rights of GA in Ireland.
http://www.aopa.ie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;