Should this Forum be Censored. For and Against

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

cross swords
Unverified User
Unverified User

Should this Forum be Censored. For and Against

Post by cross swords » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:44 am

Praise to Forum Hosts, its a wonderful assest to flyers in Ireland.

Question? Why have some threads been removed, while others have expressed very strong views, and remain left up. Free Press has always worked in every suscessfull Media. Well why not on this great Forum.

Peoples opiions are but that, and no reflection upon the forum hosts, And no legal implacations whatsoever. Even rumors can teach us pilots something.. is there anything wrong with that. It could even save Lives.

What is ok and what is not.

I have in the past posted things that were 100% TRUE, yet they have been removed. FII knows who all posters are, so let them speak their minds, and if it transpires that what a poster has said is untrue, let them answer to whoever is upset.

My fear is that a New forum will be created and tell it like it is. You can not operate a Great forum, if you are worried about or trying to protect any one's intersts or Feelings.

How long will this post Last ?

For and Against?

C.S.

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:14 am

FII knows who all posters are

This has been covered in an earlier topic.... And no, FII doesn't....

http://www.flyinginireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4050

cross swords
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by cross swords » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:18 am

Do you agree with me Mr. D
Last edited by cross swords on Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:26 am

Yes, forum shouldn't be "Policed" but.....

Having guys with anonymous usernames making bold statements and points and at the back of it all be totally untraceable....

The "Contrails" episode being a classic example (Which I was glad not to have got involved in)

Anyone agree with me ? ?

Before i'm criticized or called a hypocrite My personal e-mail and messenger contacts are in my profile. And I personally know quite a few posters here.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:55 am

If it aint broke....

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:55 am

The forum is moderated, not censored by Mark.

My thoughts:
Agree with Donal MW, the Chemtrails was so off-topic, it was very debateable that it fell into the FII forum realm. I even stayed out of that one! I believe if that a topic, or ongoign thread is irrelevant, it should be spiked.

Secondly, there has been spam previously, think we all agree that that needs to be cleared ASAP

Thirdly, and probably the most contentious relates to rumour & hearsay, no matter how reliable, regarding a serious mtter. The forum members have always adopted a self-control on this, until an official report is issued, and I personally am in favour of this. When a serious event has occurred, we often hears rumours, and it may transpire that they are true. however, I think it is incumbent on us not to comment on specific rumours until there is official verification. I also beleive that there may be a legal difficulty for thr forum's moderators if said rumour proves unfounded, and it only takes one to bring the house of cards down.

CS, know you think the oppostie of me on this one. I would also presume that the forum is no doubt, probed regularly by IAA etc, so I would be circumspect about commenting on incidents, specific flying (which I dont think has happened yet), etc

My two cents

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ifty » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:52 am

All it needs is another couple of moderators nothing else. If it aint broke..........
You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:52 am

FII knows who all posters are

No they dont. Maybe an approach similar to what the BMAA.org took would solve some issues here. Each user was requested to change their username to their actual name & BMAA number. Removed the anonymity to a certain degree.

Also I remember a while back Cross Swords posted a particularly personal attack on a well respected poster on this forum. I contacted mark and requested the topic be deleted which it promptly was. I'd like to think if more crap like that pops up that mark can sort it out by means of sensible moderation which is all i have ever seen on this forum.

Ian,
X'Air 582(5)

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:27 am

Being the Admin or the Moderator of a forum can be a thorny rose. I admin the NMAI forum and it has not got anyway near the numbers that FII and others have, partly because the decision was made that full viewing/posting is only available to NMAI members, even so I have had to remove and edit some posts that has upset some people...... you will always have a different view from some people, we need to remember that mods do not edit/remove posts to annoy anyone, simply an attempt to keep the forums steered in a sensible way... as far as I am concerned, Mark gets this bang on and moderates this forum very fair.... we should all congratulate him for that fact.

Jon

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ifty » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:21 pm

jonkil wrote:as far as I am concerned, Mark gets this bang on and moderates this forum very fair.... we should all congratulate him for that fact.

Jon

Exactly, I agree completly, but it is unfair to only have one person being responsible, there must be a couple more suitably qualified people who could take on the role also.
You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.

EIWAT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIWAT » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:35 pm

Without a forum being moderated it can lead to issue such the owner being sued for remakes made by one of its members. This was one of the main reasons why the irishaviation forum (www.irishaviation.net) was shutdown so as in all walks of life policing needs to used
Regards

EI-WAT

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:23 pm

The site probably could do with a few more moderators alright, it's a lot for mark to work on his own.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:11 pm

cross swords wrote:Praise to Forum Hosts, its a wonderful assest to flyers in Ireland.

Thank you.

cross swords wrote:Peoples opiions are but that, and no reflection upon the forum hosts, And no legal implacations whatsoever.

Unfortunately that is not the case, the owner of the site is legally responsible for whatever is posted on it. The case of irishaviation.net is a perfect example. I have received several threats of legal action since I setup this site, luckily none have been successful.

I have always stated that commenting/speculating on accidents is not acceptable here. We can debate it when the report comes out, but not immediately in the aftermath. Regarding the most recent accident, it was quite clear from several posts that there was personal feelings towards the pilot involved - that is definitely not acceptable here.

The idea behind this site from day one was to bring all people in aviation together, and to make aviation more accessible to people who would like to get involved. Politics in Irish aviation has no place on this forum.

Regarding the number of moderators, I'm happy enough with the workload. In the past if anything serious was posted, I usually got a phone call within a few minutes from other forumites and the matter was dealt with swiftly.

Hope this answers the question!

Regards,
Mark

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:45 pm

Presuming moderation is required, I think it is best vested in one person, as spreading it may cause inconcistency in policy.

as Mark says, if there is an issue forumites see, they contact him quickly to raise.