Microlight licence

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

fly4life
Unverified User
Unverified User

Microlight licence

Post by fly4life » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:46 pm

I currently have a PPL A but if i was to get a Three-axis microlight license can the hours used flying one of these fixed wing microlights be used to maintain the PPL A.
Or woulld i have to do the minimuim 12 hour every 2 years at on a cert A aircraft.
I would like to maitain the PPL A for the days when I have more than 1 pax or nervous passenger but in the current climate microlighting seems to be a good option to get out just doing the club hiring and local trips and to do some touring.
Plus seems a more justifiable/affordable option for share or full ownership.

Cheers
First time caller long time listener

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi,

No, you cant keep your Single Engine Piston Rating current of a Microlight. But what rating you can keep one current is a Touring Motor Glider, although you have to do another skills test, motor gliding is very cheap, and when the engine is off, "Its Free". Theres a very decent share for sale at Waterford at the moment, very affordable. If your interested send a pm.

LC
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:30 pm

Even the Tecnam in waterford represents excellent value for money solo hire.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

damienair
Verified User
Verified User

Post by damienair » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:13 pm

You can't use hours logged in a microlight for keeping your PPL A current, however there are loads of microlight pilots who have PPL A and commercial licences. Also many 3-axis microlights give low cost maintainance and ownership as well as good touring ability. It is very rare that I have 1 passenger, never mind 3. I always get asked to bring people flying, however when they realise I'm leaving my house at 6.30 in the morning to go for a proper days flying, the want tends to go off them.
Pegasus XL 462
PILOTS are just PLANE people with a special AIR about them

inverted
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by inverted » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:31 pm

Must be an awful slow machine if you have to leave the house @ 06:30 to go anywhere :lol:

damienair
Verified User
Verified User

Post by damienair » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:33 pm

I know it sounds a bit extreme, but I live an hour from the airfield and once there it usually takes 30 minutes to an hour before i'm in the air, so a local bimble is a bit of a waste of time. So I normally get there early, ready to take off at 9am and fly until it gets dark. Last Sunday I logged 6 hours and 5 minutes flying from Granard - Letterkenny - Ruskey - Crosmolina - Enfield - Kinnegad - Granard. I was a bit slow for most of Sunday but that was due to flying into a 30 knot headwind for most of it. Still covered a good bit of ground and saw a few friends. I try and fit as much into a flying day as possible. Not getting into the air as much as I'd like this year.
Pegasus XL 462
PILOTS are just PLANE people with a special AIR about them