thickmick
Verified User
Verified User

EASA PPL

Post by thickmick » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:28 pm

Question...
I have an EASA PPL and an Irish NPPL.
I don't want to downgrade to a LAPL.
I currently fly a fixed wing 3 axis (microlight) non EASA aircraft.
In the past I have been required to fly 12 hour PIC in either Group A (EASA type) or non EASA Group A aircraft , including one hour with instructor, in order to remain current on my EASA PPL (at great expense) !
Has this requirement now changed ?
Could my fixed wing 3 axis (microlight) non EASA aircraft hours now count towards 11 hours required to keep my EASA licence current if I fly one hour with instructor (check ride) in EASA group A type aircraft every 2 years ?

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: EASA PPL

Post by mark » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:03 pm

Hi thickmick,

Grey area!
In the past I have been required to fly 12 hour PIC in either Group A (EASA type) or non EASA Group A aircraft , including one hour with instructor, in order to remain current on my EASA PPL (at great expense) !
Technically the hours on non EASA Group A aircraft don't count - although in reality everyone is doing it. Annex II aircraft as the used to be called, fell outside the scope of the Basic Regulation and as such did not qualify for counting hours [That's a legal interpretation, not mine!]
Has this requirement now changed ?
Short answer is no. However, there is a rule making task on going at EASA to have these 3 Axis microlight hours count in future. I don't have a timeline.
Could my fixed wing 3 axis (microlight) non EASA aircraft hours now count towards 11 hours required to keep my EASA licence current if I fly one hour with instructor (check ride) in EASA group A type aircraft every 2 years ?
Not as it currently stands. If you like, you could just do an LPC every 2 years (3 months before rating expiry) on an EASA group A aeroplane and that will revalidate your SEP Rating, no need to do the 12 Hours PIC then or the hour with an instructor.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,
Mark